POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: SÅ‚awomir Szczyrba
Date: 11 Mar 2008 10:12:53
Message: <slrn.ftd8ba.u0t.steev@hot.pl>
BOFH excuse 156: Zombie processes haunting David Buck
> Again, I'll throw the question back.  If you feel that asking for
> contact information would hold people back from registering, what do you
> propose as an alternative?

Confirmed e-mail.
And possibility to fill remaining data up when needed (prizes, shopping etc.)

> I'm trying to address two concerns here.  First, for the purposes of
> using the images outside the scope of the IRTC such as CD-ROMS and
> requests from third parties, we need to be able to contact the artists.
>   If we can't contact the artist, then we can't grant certain requests.

Sure. But there is no easy way to confirm snail mail (well, you can send me
a postcard, of course, and wait for answer ;)
Phone number can be easy confirmed... but this can cost a plenty.

> Second, by providing better contact information, it becomes more
> difficult (but certainly not impossible) for someone to spam the contest
> with entries from fake identities.  It's easy to get e-mail addresses.

It's easy to take a fake 'home address'.

> Someone could submit 10 images (perhaps poor quality or token
> submissions) to 3 contests using fake e-mail addresses for each then get
> 30 votes for the next rounds.

I can wrote 10 real 'street addresses' in no time.
Working phone number costs me between $0 (voip) and $2.5 (gsm,voip)...

> David Buck

Slawek
--
  ________
_/ __/ __/ []to taki wiesz... telnet... taki prymitywny outlook:P - Kanusia