POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 11 Mar 2004 15:31:32
Message: <s8j150dugibfpsb3tukij1r5v9iden2mrn@4ax.com>
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:55:00 -0000, "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:

>IMBJR wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:36:15 -0800, "Chambers"
>> <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>
>>> "IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I will take personal offense at this.
>>>
>>> This *is* a community.  The individuals here are more intelligent,
>>> capable, considerate, helpful and productive than any other group I
>>> have known.  This community produces incredible artwork, as well as
>>> the tools to create it.  I am proud of the fact that I am allowed a
>>> space here in these forums*, and I don't appreciate your attitude in
>>> this respect.
>>
>> Believe you me, comparing this news server and it contents to a
>> community is inaccurate to say the least.
>
>Look up community in the dictionary "A group of people having common
>interests" seems to crop up.

Using a dictionary to define such a word is like using the self same
dictionary to find a recipe for a cake - woefully skimpy on detail.

>> People here post images, binaries, bits of POV code. They critique
>> images and points of view. Share ideas on POV-Ray and its satellites
>> of software. Some even discuss off-topic stuff like on the rest of
>> usenet.
>
>Sounds just like a community to me.

No. Sounds like usenet to me.

>> In a real "meatspace" community the depth of interaction makes the
>> above list of activitys look extremely small. The true personal touch
>> is where community is really at. This is merely a digital facimile of
>> a community, and as such does not go to the nth degree.
>>
>> Try comparing this place and its sister groups to, say, a village or a
>> city - both communities of differing scale. That will ensure that one
>> will see that this is a merely drop in the ocean of human interaction.
>
>How many people in your village/town/city have you spoken to about POV?  I
>think this community is far better than my "real-life" one for discussing
>POV.

Quite a few actually: my wife, people at work, friends I know. Don't
think of POV as something special that only a select few talk about -
it's just a piece of software people use.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com