POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interruptable/resumable parsing? : Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Dec 2003 13:32:03
Message: <rnj3c1-dv2.ln1@triton.imagico.de>

> High!
>
> During Christmas, I tried to generate a spherical mesh from a 2000 x
> 1000 bumpmap of the
> Moon... and after returning from my relatives, I had to realize that
> parsing bogged down the
> computer completely! After 2 days and 15 minutes, only 270 lines of the

> bumpmap had been
> parsed (I added a #warning statement giving the current line number)!
> [...]

Your code must be quite inefficient in this case, generating a mesh of 2

million vertices in SDL should be possible without too much trouble.
Try the HF_Sphere macro in 'shapes.inc'.

> So I ask you whether it could be possible to interrupt and resume the
> parsing - as I live in a one-room flat with no chance to
> stow away the computer at night, and the fans are loud enough to keep m
> from sleeping.

You get used to it after a while...

Interruptible parsing would be extrmely difficult to implement.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______