POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : eliptical confusion. : Re: eliptical confusion. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: eliptical confusion.
From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Feb 2000 00:52:35
Message: <rBKNvLAIVaq4EwNG@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Ross Litscher who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>>
>> Both problems are due to the fact that POV is inconsistent about the way
>> it uses angles. The ROTATE operation uses angles measured in degrees,
>> but its trig functions use angles measured in radians. You used degrees
>> throughout.
>>
>> If you replace both occurrences of "cos(theta..." by "cos(theta/r_d..."
>> (you've already declared r_d to be 180/Pi) then both orbits become nice
>> smooth ellipses and the two collision points become clearly visible.
>>

>thanks for clearing this up. is there a logical reason for the
>inconsistence?

I'd guess that the operations were written by different people. ROTATE
was always part of the POV language, and I seem to remember that it was
part of the DKB_Trace language that preceded POV_Ray.

The trig functions are comparatively recent additions. I'd guess that
the guy who added them was very familiar with the trig functions in the
C language (in which POV_Ray is currently written) which work in
radians.

--
Mike Williams * ##
Gentleman of Leisure