POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (vector) sum of two objects : Re: (vector) sum of two objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (vector) sum of two objects
From: ABX
Date: 23 Apr 2003 12:45:02
Message: <r7gdavcrboohskhfqaniuo3dai0tgd8s9k@4ax.com>
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:32:38 +0200, Achill Schuermann <ach### [at] matumde> wrote:
> > Before answer, can you describe more? Example with description of two components
> > and expected result...
>
> Mathematically, the (vector) sum A+B of two sets A and B is defined as
> the set of all points x=a+b with a in A and b in B.
> A+B = { x : x=a+b, a in A and b in B }.

In my knowledge sum of sets is
A+B = { x : x in A or x in B }
which can be union{} or merge{} object in POV.

> A "simple" example is the sum of two convex polyhedra (cube,
> tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.) which is again a polyhedron.
>
> Another example is the sum of a set A with a sphere of radius r,
> centered at <0,0,0>, which gives the set of all points "within distance
> r of A". This would give a nice "rounding effect".
>
> I hope this gives a little idea of what i had in mind.

Not for me :-(
A I said initially as a 'sum' i thought you mean union{}
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/171/
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/40/
but in above text you seam expect that sphere+box=rounded box. This link can
help http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/261/#round_box_union

ABX