POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request : Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request Server Time
30 Apr 2024 21:34:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request
From: Kyle
Date: 16 Jan 2008 12:27:08
Message: <r6fso3525gj1fm5ular0uinna82enj64a0@4ax.com>
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:58:12 +0100, Arne Kleinophorst <kle### [at] spamdebitelnet>
wrote:

>If you tend to have a planar road you could fake it with a small box /
>plane right on top of the road. Apply a transparent colormap, use a
>little turbulence  and there you go.

Yes, I've tried this method.  It looked kind of OK, but not to my liking.  In reality,
the paint on a brick road is usually not solid.  It is usually only painted on the top
of the bricks and is
usually quite worn off in many places too.  The worn look is easy enough, but the
paint crossing the gaps between the bricks is bothersome.  I've tried creating the
boxes for the lines, then
intersected them with the road and raised them up in the y direction a tad, but then I
had the texture of the road on the boxes due to the intersection.  Grr.  I may just
have to create a no-texture
copy of the road just to use for this purpose, even though it'll hog more memory.