POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POVRAY Support Multiple Processors : Re: Does POVRAY Support Multiple Processors Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POVRAY Support Multiple Processors
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 1 Aug 1998 06:43:41
Message: <qqmww8tavg3.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Nite_Hawk <nel### [at] mailminnehahapvtk12mnus> writes:

> Thomas Willhalm wrote:
> >
> > Nite_Hawk <nel### [at] mailminnehahapvtk12mnus> writes:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > This is called pvm-pov, which uses pvm to distribute the workload over
> > > several computers on a network, which could also work using two clients
> > > on one machine.  It works in linux, and someone a couple months ago
> > > hinted at a NT port, though I have no idea if it ever happend..
> >
> > Of course, it also works with other flavours of Unix. BTW, the link is:
> > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/6386/PVMPOV.html
>
> of  course, I should have unix, my mistake. :)

Not necessarily. The program that handles different processors and
machines, namely PVM, is also availible for OS/2 and Win32.
(ftp://netlib2.cs.utk.edu/pvm3/)
Since the core of POV-Ray is written in ANSI C I don't expect any
problems. A compilation of a command-line version should be simple.
(Oh, non-Unix users aren't used to compile programs :-) )

Thomas

--
Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde
http://www.informatik.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/