POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sPatch -> Povray Export Argghh! : Re: sPatch -> Povray Export Argghh! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch -> Povray Export Argghh!
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 10 Nov 1998 09:45:31
Message: <qqmr9vba9o7.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Daniel Harris <d.h### [at] netcomcouk> writes:

> I think it maybe worth my while pointing out to the author of sPatch, (if his
> wrote the export program) to get it to produce povray primitives instead of
> patches...When exporting to povray...This makes parsing *a lot* faster as I
> now know ;-)

sPatch - as its name suggests - is written for generating objects that are
made out of (bicubic) patches. And in my opinion it does a great job in
doing this.

A bicubic patch is also a POV-Ray primitive. However, memory and time
consumption for rendering is significantly higher if you model a cube by
six bicubic patches than by the primitive "box". However, bicubic patches
are a must for modelling organic-like shapes.

Converting bicubic patches to CSG is a non-trivial task and in most cases
impossible. That's why you should use CSG where appropriate and bicubic
patches where needed. Personally, I use hand-written POV-Ray files and
include some objects that were generated by sPatch. As others suggested
you may use other modellers for the CSG part.

Happy tracing

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm