POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .u and .v operators? : Re: .u and .v operators? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .u and .v operators?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 6 Jul 1998 04:40:13
Message: <qqmiulbqvfn.fsf@goldach.informatik.uni-konstanz.de>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] flashnet> writes:

> The following generate errors for me, on both 3.02 and
> 3.1 :
>
> #declare uv = <1, 2>;
> #render concat("u = ",str(uv.u, 1, 0), ", v = ", str(uv.v, 1, 0), "\n")
>
> The .u works, but .v fails.
>
> Similiarly, the following fails on .y but not .x :
>
> #declare uv = <1, 2>;
> #render concat("u = ",str(uv.x, 1, 0), ", v = ", str(uv.y, 1, 0), "\n")
>

> Support for 2-vectors is documented -- is this a bug?

This is a known bug in povray. Someone else reported it in cgrr and
I even found the line in the source code that contains the error.
Obviously, they don't set the number of components to two for
two dimensional vectors. I've sent an email to the povray team that
included the description of the bug and the file name, line number,
and content of the source code to change.

I am really disappointed that the povray team simply ignores such
detailed bug reports!

Ok, they have created a very good piece of software. I agree that
blaming them for the very few bugs or missing features is not nice.
However, if it's true that the bug is still in version 3.1b (1),
I blame them not to listen to a complete bug report that even
contains the solution.

Best regards
Thomas

(1) Since for povray 3.1b4 neither the SunOS version nor the source
code is available, I can't verify it myself.

--
Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde
http://www.informatik.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/