POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scientific use of povray : Re: Scientific use of povray Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific use of povray
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 10 Sep 1998 03:05:02
Message: <qqmbtoocxki.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Tim Glover <tgl### [at] nettallycom> writes:

> Congrats on your first place!

Thanks a lot.

> I agree .mpg files are smaller (in my
> case about 1.5 mbytes vs. 4.5 mbytes) but the colors were dithered
> (poorly so, if I may add) and the overall effect was disappointing.
> FLI/FLC (with the free Autodesk viewer, no less!) preserves the color
> scheme adequately w/o dithering - and looks good even in full screen
> 640X480 format.

Since we're using a Unix system, xanim and mpeg_play are our choice.
As far as I know mpegs are true color animations. The distortion that
you are referring to is due to the compression algorithm.

> I guess, like .jpg, you get only the quality out that you're willing to
> pay for with file size.

Unfortunately, we will have to pay the prize, because 200 MB is really to
much for a web page in these days.

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm