POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadows without Objects : Re: Shadows without Objects Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadows without Objects
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 16 Feb 1999 07:52:28
Message: <qqmaeyepl38.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Lars W." <lar### [at] snafude> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to combine real Images, and POV-Images, and for that i need
> to know
> how to create Objects, that make shadows, but are not seen, i mean they
> must be
> 100 % transparent, but the shadows must be dark.
>
> Does anybody know if such things are possible with POV-Ray ?
> or maybe knows some alternatives ?

If you don't find any alternatives, contact me. I have hacked the source
code of POV-Ray to allow just what you want: Completely transparent objects
casting black shadows. Additionally, if have created a possibility to
completely avoid shadows on an object. (This is different from the no_shadow
keyword. In the latter case, the object doesn't cast shadows, whereas my
addition removes the shadows from the object.)

I have used these modifications to create my image "twklein"
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/tracegallery/index.html

Unfortunately, my hack doesn't work anymore with POV-Ray 3.01, and I guess
that this is also true for the upcoming version 3.1. So you have to stick
with 3.0, if you want to use my modifications. I could provide you binaries
for Solaris, Linux, or SGI, or I can send you the source code.

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm