POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Mar 2004 05:31:40
Message: <qmet50dsgqlnp9759ha23bn1fjg7cjh905@4ax.com>
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:01:19 -0700, Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>You can however insert  more code into the global scope or even
>use some functions in the languages to dynamically change the
>code as it runs by loading a text file and passing it to the
>engine to execute. I have no idea how this is done though.

I use this all the time in a database engine I am using at work. It
supports stored procedures in its own funky language and the whole
thing can be compiled, but there is a language construct which allows
one to run code directly even from within a compiled file. I use this
a lot for debugging and trying out new code because it spares me from
compiling with every little change.

I think the way they do it is they include the language parser with
the virtual machine which handles the bytecode-compiled application.
Both seem to work nicely together and operate in the same scope and
namespace, so for example one can spawn a dialog at runtime, type in
some code to be executed, and resume execution, and the parsed code
will have integrated well (variables, data etc.)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg