POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY SPEED : Re: POVRAY SPEED Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY SPEED
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Dec 2003 11:12:07
Message: <ql5s91-7rk.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
m1j wrote:
> I have been using POVRay for some time now. Started with it on the Amiga if
> that helps with dates. Anyway I have a dual PIII 550 with 700M. I have us
> of Lightwave 7.5.
>
> I have been using lightwave for a while and have noticed that POVRay seems
> just as fast if not faster on high quality full radiosity renderings.
> Lightwave does render fast for low quality renderings where its hybred
> system is in use. But even heavy raytracing slows it down. Lightwave claims
> it uses both CPUs in my system. POVRay clearly states it does not. Now am I
> seeing things correctly? Is povray that fast with its radiosity? Or even
> its raytrace. I am useing the same models to render in both programs.
> Anyone using lightwave lets me know very clearly that I must be off my
> rocker to even sugjest that povray is as fast as lightwave. But I can't
> help seeing what I am seeing.

It is well possible that POV-Ray renders certain scenes faster than
other programs but you have to make sure you compare the right things.
Whatever conversion of scenes you used this will never be perfect.
Render settings might not be comparable as well.  For a qualified
comparison you should definitely show the render results.

In the end it will always depend on the type of scene which program is
faster - just try a million trees each a million triangles in Lightwave
and you will see...  And of course POV-Ray has a lot of shapes (all not
mesh based ones) that are not available in Lightwave & Co. anyway.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______