POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Differences with Large Unions : Re: Differences with Large Unions Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:04:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differences with Large Unions
From: Peter Popov
Date: 14 Mar 2001 08:08:02
Message: <q54uatgffb8km180496jc5d1qbesffhj5k@4ax.com>
>I have a union of many small, mostly disjoint objects, and now I need to do
>a difference with them.  From past experience, when I do an intersection
>with such a conglomeration, it turns it into a single large object that is
>only bounded at the largest extent, and slows down the render a lot.  I may
>not have the above correct, but it certainly slows the render down a lot.

Several things come to mind:

1) union the differences of every small object and the cutting object
2) do a hierarchical octree optimisation using manual bounding
3) see what the +SU and +MB options can do for you (they are on by
default but who knows?)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg