POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Helix, spiral : Re: Helix, spiral Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Helix, spiral
From: Peter Popov
Date: 3 Sep 1999 21:42:42
Message: <q4bQN7pOJqAG5IvUxA0IBFh6lHkw@4ax.com>
On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:27:18 -0500, Larry Fontaine <lfo### [at] isdnet>
wrote:

>Is there any way to get a spiral or helical object without merging (or
>blobbing) a bunch of primitives? And is there a way to get a helical
>texture without an image map? I know there's a spiral pattern, but no
>helical one...

For a helix shape check out the Helix object in shapesq.inc that comes
in all POV distributions.

For a helix pattern, you can approximate it using a density_file. See
the demo scenes that come with POV. If you need additional help with
density_files, don't hesitate to ask.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700