POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Rendering 20500 POV Files Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering 20500 POV Files (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Peter
Subject: Re: Rendering 20500 POV Files
Date: 29 Jul 2013 11:40:02
Message: <web.51f68a5922430c8aaf3d580b0@news.povray.org>
Stephen, (sorry I refereed to you as Alain last post...  misread the post in my
haste earlier!).

Your suggestion works great with these changes:
 Input_File_Name = animate_00000.pov
 Output_File_Name = animate_00000.bmp
 Initial_Frame = 0
 Final_Frame = 999999
 Subset_Start_Frame = 0
 Subset_End_Frame = 20501

However, the output files aren't (for example) animate_00000.bmp its
animate_0000000.bmp... seems to be adding zeros to the front (2 I think a I just
did a test with 10 files... I'm guessing if I set it up for the entire
simulation it will add 5 zeros). Is there someway to have it not add padding
zeros (as they are not needed since the input files are already labelled
accordingly).

Thanks again for your help,

Peter

Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 26/07/2013 8:51 PM, Peter wrote:
> > I'll update my file and give it a try. I have gotten a batch file working, but
> > the way its set up right now I have POV ray opening, rendering a scene (~1.7
> > seconds) and closing... then repeating over and over and over again.... besides
> > the risk of epileptic seizure, it would obviously be faster to either keep one
> > POV ray open and one after another pass the 20501 files through to be rendered
> > or to have pov-ray start minimized... at least that way the render time would be
> > decreased and I wouldn't have windows flashing every 1-2 seconds!
>

> There is a better way than running the files sequentially. You can use
> the animation feature. Here is a snipit of code from an ini file.
>
> Input_File_Name = animate_.pov
> Output_File_Name = animate_
> Initial_Frame = 0
> Final_Frame = 999999
> Subset_Start_Frame = 0
> Subset_End_Frame = 20501
>
>   /* I like to use an underscore between the name and the numbers for
> readability. */
>

> "Input_File_Name" calls your PovRay master file (which #includes your
> series of pov files"
>
> "Output_File_Name" is the base name of the rendered files.
>
> "Initial_Frame": Your start frame number. (Keep it 0)
>
> "Final_Frame" : Any number bigger than your largest frame number.
>
> "Subset_Start_Frame": Where you want to start rendering from.
>
> "Subset_End_Frame": Where you want to stop rendering.
>
> You don't need to use an ini file. You can use command line options.
>
> This method works for me.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Stephen, (sorry I refereed to you as Alain last post...  misread the post in my
> haste earlier!).

Not the worst thing that I have been called. ;-)

> Your suggestion works great with these changes:
>   Input_File_Name = animate_00000.pov
>   Output_File_Name = animate_00000.bmp
>   Initial_Frame = 0
>   Final_Frame = 999999
>   Subset_Start_Frame = 0
>   Subset_End_Frame = 20501
>
> However, the output files aren't (for example) animate_00000.bmp its
> animate_0000000.bmp... seems to be adding zeros to the front (2 I think a I just
> did a test with 10 files... I'm guessing if I set it up for the entire
> simulation it will add 5 zeros). Is there someway to have it not add padding
> zeros (as they are not needed since the input files are already labelled
> accordingly).

The only way that I know of is to reduce the number of digits in
Final_Frame.
I would be more concerned about using BMP files with the number of
frames that you are using. BMPs are uncompressed and you will eat a lot
of HDD space. Why not try PNGs?
Output_File_Type = N

And don't forget to use Continue_Trace=1
In case your machine crashes or you stop the render partway through the
animation.

> Thanks again for your help,

Only too pleased to pay back some of the help I've had over the years. :-D
--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Stephen, (sorry I refereed to you as Alain last post...  misread the post in my
> haste earlier!).
>
> Your suggestion works great with these changes:
>   Input_File_Name = animate_00000.pov
>   Output_File_Name = animate_00000.bmp
>   Initial_Frame = 0
>   Final_Frame = 999999
>   Subset_Start_Frame = 0
>   Subset_End_Frame = 20501
>
> However, the output files aren't (for example) animate_00000.bmp its
> animate_0000000.bmp... seems to be adding zeros to the front (2 I think a I just
> did a test with 10 files... I'm guessing if I set it up for the entire
> simulation it will add 5 zeros). Is there someway to have it not add padding
> zeros (as they are not needed since the input files are already labelled
> accordingly).
>
> Thanks again for your help,
>
> Peter

The number of digit is imposed by the value of final_frame. If it have 6
digits, then the files names will end with 6 digits.

Normaly, I never set final_frame to a large and use a subset. Only
setting the final_frame value normaly works very well.

Simply using +kff20500 or +kff20501 on the command line start the
animation for the desired number of frames.

BMPs are huge for nothing as they are not compressed in any way. It's
highly recomended to set the output format to PNG. Use +fn in an ini
file or the command line, or way beter, upgrade to version 3.7RC whitch
default to PNG on all platforms.

Alain

Post a reply to this message