POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time: 1 Oct 2020 02:22:49 GMT
  Another reason to hate Windows 7 (Message 33 to 42 of 42)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 30 Jan 2013 21:43:31
Message: <51099403$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/01/2013 9:25 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Here's the same link, posted
>> without the quotes; see if it shows up successfully...
>
> Nope, it still didn't work. :-/
>
>
>
>
Not in FireFox nor IE9 but it does in Thunderbird.

Comeback uncle Ken

-- 
Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 30 Jan 2013 23:08:36
Message: <5109a7f4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.01.2013 22:13, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 30/01/2013 20:51, Alain nous fit lire :
>> When a Windows update need to reboot, it ask you and will wait untill
>> you sellect "Restart now" or "Ask again in...".
>> There have been a few times when I had that dialog open for a few days.
>> Any way, I prefer the setting that download the updated, then ask to
>> install them.
>
> YMMV, but I happened more than once to get an XP rebooted without
> consent because it was updated and unattended long enough (coffee
> break... oh, login again!)

Same here.


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 31 Jan 2013 18:25:00
Message: <web.510ab61711feb232f465fd30@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>
>
> > > > Seems the link vanished. Hope it can be seen now:
>
> Nope, none of the your three tries are showing up at my end (on latest Firefox.)
>
> BUT, when I went to post this message, the link DID come up in your own message.
> I see that it's in quotes. Should it have them? Here's the same link, posted
> without the quotes; see if it shows up successfully...
>
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.5033e17517f31266b62e53d00@news.povray.org%3E/

The quoting was an idea to show it after two attemps without quoting in vain.

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 31 Jan 2013 18:40:01
Message: <web.510ab94711feb232f465fd30@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 30.01.2013 22:13, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> > Le 30/01/2013 20:51, Alain nous fit lire :
> >> When a Windows update need to reboot, it ask you and will wait untill
> >> you sellect "Restart now" or "Ask again in...".
> >> There have been a few times when I had that dialog open for a few days.
> >> Any way, I prefer the setting that download the updated, then ask to
> >> install them.
> >
> > YMMV, but I happened more than once to get an XP rebooted without
> > consent because it was updated and unattended long enough (coffee
> > break... oh, login again!)
>
> Same here.

For all I experienced: With "important" updates you have some 15 minutes to
answer the dialog otherwise the machine is shut down regardless of the
applications running. Only if you enter the update option and change this
behaviour you have a chance to save your work. It's a Windows issue since XP I
think. And it has nothing do to with the running application. Recently I had a
shutdown of this kind with a machine which is usually not connected to the net
and I was in need to use a network printer... No POV running at this time.

The issue with the missing link seems to be a browser issue (I use IE 9 so far).
The problem with the +c is of course a problem with POV and a solution would be
nice, but IMO not a severe problem.

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 1 Feb 2013 08:05:34
Message: <510b774e$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-1-2013 19:44, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 30/01/2013 20:59, clipka wrote:
>> Did anyone ever file a bug report on this issue?
>
> I don't recall seeing one. It's definitely something we need to look
> at as I can't see us releasing 3.7 if it's faulty.

afaic, I thought it was normal behaviour :-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 1 Feb 2013 13:05:16
Message: <510bbd8c@news.povray.org>
Am 30.01.2013 19:44, schrieb Chris Cason:
> On 30/01/2013 20:59, clipka wrote:
>>> Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at
>>> povray.beta-test, "Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at
>>> worst" by Chaanakya at 21 Aug 2012 19:30:00.
>>
>> The very first link worked perfectly fine for me (I haven't tested the
>> others).
>>
>> Did anyone ever file a bug report on this issue?
>
> I don't recall seeing one. It's definitely something we need to look
> at as I can't see us releasing 3.7 if it's faulty.

I tested it, and although I didn't actually manage to reproduce the 
visible symptoms at first, stepping through the code revealed some bad 
internal behaviour that could well lead to the phenomenon mentioned.

It turns out that we did have a fencepost error in the code that checks 
whether a rendered block is consecutive to the previous ones or not.

(I also noticed that the respective code is pretty braindead anyway, but 
as it won't lead to errors - to the contrary, there's nothing much to go 
wrong in there except for that one fencepost - I think we can live with 
it for 3.7.0.)


BTW, the bug is now officially FS#270.


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 1 Feb 2013 16:30:01
Message: <web.510bec4311feb23957077fd0@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> I think we can live with
> it for 3.7.0.)
>
>
> BTW, the bug is now officially FS#270.

I think so as well. But one should issue an comment to the docs. At the times I
had a one core machine I used the c+ option frequently to stop a render and use
the machine for other purposes. After finishing the other job I resumed POV with
+c. The most programs I use today are not really supporting multithreading and
so I have not to stop POV but use the +wt4 (or +wt6) option to have enough
resources for my other applications. That work around is the reason why I judged
this problem as not severe. But a hint within the docs to this issue would be
fine especially for newbies.

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 2 Feb 2013 01:26:11
Message: <510c6b33$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2013 17:24, schrieb MichaelJF:
> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> I think we can live with
>> it for 3.7.0.)
>>
>>
>> BTW, the bug is now officially FS#270.
>
> I think so as well. But one should issue an comment to the docs. At the times I
> had a one core machine I used the c+ option frequently to stop a render and use
> the machine for other purposes. After finishing the other job I resumed POV with
> +c. The most programs I use today are not really supporting multithreading and
> so I have not to stop POV but use the +wt4 (or +wt6) option to have enough
> resources for my other applications. That work around is the reason why I judged
> this problem as not severe. But a hint within the docs to this issue would be
> fine especially for newbies.

When I wrote "I think we can live with it [...]", what I meant was not 
the bug, but other quirks of the code in which the bug was emplaced. 
Those quirks prevent the render continue feature from being as efficient 
as intended (especially with respect to memory consumption), but have no 
other drawbacks.

Thus, there is no reason to add anything to the docs: The bug won't stay 
in there (in other words, the next release will no longer skip any 
blocks when continuing a previously aborted render), and the other 
quirks will remain invisible to the user.


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 2 Feb 2013 07:49:15
Message: <510cc4fb@news.povray.org>
On 30/01/2013 07:53, MichaelJF wrote:
> Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at

The missing link in the web view of the post was a result of an issue
in the code we use to sanitize email addresses; the PHP function in
question was returning NULL upon failure rather than the original
unchanged string. I've worked around this now.

-- Chris


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
Date: 2 Feb 2013 08:41:09
Message: <510cd125$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-2-2013 2:26, clipka wrote:
> Thus, there is no reason to add anything to the docs: The bug won't stay
> in there (in other words, the next release will no longer skip any
> blocks when continuing a previously aborted render), and the other
> quirks will remain invisible to the user.
>

You guys are truly amazing! Thanks :-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.