POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 : Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:42:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2013 20:26:11
Message: <510c6b33$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2013 17:24, schrieb MichaelJF:
>> I think we can live with
>> it for 3.7.0.)
>>

>> BTW, the bug is now officially FS#270.
>
> I think so as well. But one should issue an comment to the docs. At the times I
> had a one core machine I used the c+ option frequently to stop a render and use
> the machine for other purposes. After finishing the other job I resumed POV with
> +c. The most programs I use today are not really supporting multithreading and
> so I have not to stop POV but use the +wt4 (or +wt6) option to have enough
> resources for my other applications. That work around is the reason why I judged
> this problem as not severe. But a hint within the docs to this issue would be
> fine especially for newbies.

When I wrote "I think we can live with it [...]", what I meant was not
the bug, but other quirks of the code in which the bug was emplaced.
Those quirks prevent the render continue feature from being as efficient
as intended (especially with respect to memory consumption), but have no
other drawbacks.

Thus, there is no reason to add anything to the docs: The bug won't stay
in there (in other words, the next release will no longer skip any
blocks when continuing a previously aborted render), and the other
quirks will remain invisible to the user.