POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) Server Time
17 May 2024 07:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge)
Date: 11 Jan 2008 16:40:01
Message: <web.4787e1982ef1916dc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"COMPATT" <com### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks again for all the help.
> I already know how to do that part by pre-processing the crater data so POV-Ray
> will not have to test each crater against all of the already existing ones for
> the overlap condition. This is not to hard to do using C++ I just didn't want
> to waste time trying to reduce parse time when it would still take almost a
> week to render the scene after parsing was over.
>
> If I can end up reducing parse time half as much as I have the rendering (with
> the help of all your advice)This macro may even be useful in animations.
>
> I had planned on adding blobs to the macro down the road for making craters on
> irregular shapes like asteroids.  It never occured to me I could use a blob
> object for the spherical planets and moons as well.
>
> Thanks so much for providing the missing puzzle piece!!

Ah, looks like you're facing the placing non-intersecting spheres, O^n
conundrum.  We had a bit of a go at this in a couple threads last year with
very good results (in the order of 10-20x speedup depending on parameters).

Original discussion:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4468e90a%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=257697&toff=1000

Resulting techniques posted here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

One of the successful techniques was by me, so feel free to post any questions.
Warp had a completely different technique, but with similar speedup times here
as well, feel free to ask him questions, but I can't guarantee the response ;)
-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Resulting techniques posted here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

Try again...
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Resulting techniques posted here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

> Try again...

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

> -tgq

I'll try without the http...

news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C446b33a3@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=255728&toff=100

If this link doesn't work, just search for "Random placement of non-intersecting
spheres" from May 2006 (hmm, maybe it was 2 years ago) in povray.advanced-users

Man I suck at this...

-tgq

Post a reply to this message