POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Can I set breakpoint in the codes to debug? Server Time
2 May 2024 21:40:07 EDT (-0400)
  Can I set breakpoint in the codes to debug? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jack
Subject: Can I set breakpoint in the codes to debug?
Date: 17 Dec 2007 07:55:00
Message: <web.476671128a22df64dc6489f80@news.povray.org>
I am a new-user and met some problems when using POV-ray. I use Version 3.6.1
for Windows. Here are the problems:
1,After the rendering, how to direct the POV-Ray text output streams to a file?
2,After the rendering, I click 'View histogram image file' in the 'Tools' menu,
but it says 'No file to open'. How can I deal with this problem? Thanks!
3,How to smart-indent the .pov file to clearly show the source codes in the
loops and #if-else-end. For example, I copy some source codes in the tutorial
to the pov 'editor window', but they are in a mess, and difficult to read and
knew which loops the codes belong to. So I want to select them all and
smart-indent them. Is there any ways I can deal with this question? Thanks!
4,How to set breakpoint in the codes to debug? Thanks!
5,How to check the variable's value after the rendering? Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> I am a new-user and met some problems when using POV-ray. I use Version 3.6.1
> for Windows. Here are the problems:
> 1,After the rendering, how to direct the POV-Ray text output streams to a file?

By reading the documentation.

> 2,After the rendering, I click 'View histogram image file' in the 'Tools' menu,
> but it says 'No file to open'. How can I deal with this problem? Thanks!

By reading the documentation.

> 3,How to smart-indent the .pov file to clearly show the source codes in the
> loops and #if-else-end. For example, I copy some source codes in the tutorial
> to the pov 'editor window', but they are in a mess, and difficult to read and
> knew which loops the codes belong to. So I want to select them all and
> smart-indent them. Is there any ways I can deal with this question? Thanks!

You can indent them manually.

> 4,How to set breakpoint in the codes to debug? Thanks!

You can't, there is no such thing as a breakpoint.

> 5,How to check the variable's value after the rendering? Thanks!

By using the #debug statement you can check it at the end of parsing or
during parsing. The variables won't exist any more as soon as rendering starts.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

Jack nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/17 07:52:
> I am a new-user and met some problems when using POV-ray. I use Version 3.6.1
> for Windows. Here are the problems:
> 1,After the rendering, how to direct the POV-Ray text output streams to a file?
> 2,After the rendering, I click 'View histogram image file' in the 'Tools' menu,
> but it says 'No file to open'. How can I deal with this problem? Thanks!
You need to explicitely enable the generation of the histogram. It's never on by
default.
> 3,How to smart-indent the .pov file to clearly show the source codes in the
> loops and #if-else-end. For example, I copy some source codes in the tutorial
> to the pov 'editor window', but they are in a mess, and difficult to read and
> knew which loops the codes belong to. So I want to select them all and
> smart-indent them. Is there any ways I can deal with this question? Thanks!
Menu|Editor|Preferances... Second tab (Language/Tabs). check "Copy from previous
line!
In the same location, you can set the tab spacing and if you want tabs to be
replaced by spaces.
Also, if you select several lines and hit the Tab key, all selected lines have a
tab inserted at the beggining.
> 4,How to set breakpoint in the codes to debug? Thanks!
Place #debug statements at strategic locations. Enclocing them in #if statements
permit you to enable/disable them by setting a single variable: #declare Debug = 1;
> 5,How to check the variable's value after the rendering? Thanks!
Use #debug at the end of the source file where you output the variables that
interest you. After the parcing is completed, all the variables have ther final
values that don't change during the rendering itself.
You can check the values while the rendering is in progress.

Please read carefully the documentations that get installed with POV-Ray.

--
Alain
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jack
Date: 19 Dec 2007 07:10:00
Message: <web.47690973e53c0624dc6489f80@news.povray.org>
Thanks!
> Jack wrote:
> > I am a new-user and met some problems when using POV-ray. I use Version 3.6.1
> > for Windows. Here are the problems:
> > 1,After the rendering, how to direct the POV-Ray text output streams to a file?
>
> By reading the documentation.
>
> > 2,After the rendering, I click 'View histogram image file' in the 'Tools' menu,
> > but it says 'No file to open'. How can I deal with this problem? Thanks!
>
> By reading the documentation.
>
> > 3,How to smart-indent the .pov file to clearly show the source codes in the
> > loops and #if-else-end. For example, I copy some source codes in the tutorial
> > to the pov 'editor window', but they are in a mess, and difficult to read and
> > knew which loops the codes belong to. So I want to select them all and
> > smart-indent them. Is there any ways I can deal with this question? Thanks!
>
> You can indent them manually.
>
> > 4,How to set breakpoint in the codes to debug? Thanks!
>
> You can't, there is no such thing as a breakpoint.
>
> > 5,How to check the variable's value after the rendering? Thanks!
>
> By using the #debug statement you can check it at the end of parsing or
> during parsing. The variables won't exist any more as soon as rendering starts.
>
>  Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Jack
Date: 19 Dec 2007 07:15:00
Message: <web.47690a29e53c0624dc6489f80@news.povray.org>
Thanks! I'll try and read the documentation carefully.