POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor Server Time
2 May 2024 17:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Woody
Subject: POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor
Date: 5 Nov 2007 19:10:00
Message: <web.472fb0b4d7537a9e94e61a50@news.povray.org>
Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.

Hopefully runtime would be an advantage? Does anybody have any ballpark about
how much faster? 50% faster 3300% faster?

Any other advantages?

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.
>
> Hopefully runtime would be an advantage? Does anybody have any ballpark about
> how much faster? 50% faster 3300% faster?
>
> Any other advantages?

Sorry that I can't answer your question.

I guess the subject was discussed but I don't know when nor by whom. Perhaps
someone here remembers or has an idea or knows some links to benchmarks. Did
you question search engines on the web?

    Bruno

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.
>
> Hopefully runtime would be an advantage? Does anybody have any ballpark about
> how much faster? 50% faster 3300% faster?
>
> Any other advantages?

Well, I know 64-bit can give you a 300% improvement in big integer
calculations, but POV-Ray is mostly floating point; I don't know how
much better it gets there.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 6 Nov 2007 12:44:51
Message: <4730a813@news.povray.org>
Woody <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.

  It shouldn't be any slower than the 32-bit version, so I don't see any
harm in using it. Its advantage is that it can use more memory and it might
be a bit faster (due to how compilers can optimize code for the AMD64
processor).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 6 Nov 2007 14:17:17
Message: <4730bdbd$1@news.povray.org>
Woody nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/05 19:09:
> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.
>
> Hopefully runtime would be an advantage? Does anybody have any ballpark about
> how much faster? 50% faster 3300% faster?
>
> Any other advantages?

It's not realy about speed, but about RAM access capacity.
With the 32 bits version, there is an absolute limit of 4Gb for the amount of
RAM available, more like 2 to 3 Gb due to various OS limitations.
With the 64 bits version, that limit disapears, BUT, you also must be running a
64 bits OS on a 64 bits CPU, with enough RAM installed.

This can come to a faster rendering IF you have a scene that need LOTS of space
in memory (over 4Gb), have all the memory installed and can prevent the use of
the swap file. Such a scene just CAN'T be rendered on a 32 bits system.

Any gain in speed don't come from the 64 bits processing, but from the generaly
more clock effecient 64 bits processors.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your idea of a complete computer

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 11 Nov 2007 07:50:58
Message: <4736fab2$1@news.povray.org>
Woody wrote:
> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.

The program can access much more RAM, which won't necessarily speed things up
but can make some scenes previously impossible possible. As far as speed is
concerned, it will be a bit faster as those CPU's have a few extra general-
purpose registers available, and the compiler will take advantage of this to
avoid memory accesses under some circumstances.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: kbrafford
Date: 17 Oct 2009 17:25:01
Message: <web.4ada35821afc8cb6d18fe8a80@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> It's not realy about speed, but about RAM access capacity.
> With the 32 bits version, there is an absolute limit of 4Gb for the amount of
> RAM available, more like 2 to 3 Gb due to various OS limitations.
> With the 64 bits version, that limit disapears, BUT, you also must be running a
> 64 bits OS on a 64 bits CPU, with enough RAM installed.
>
> This can come to a faster rendering IF you have a scene that need LOTS of space
> in memory (over 4Gb), have all the memory installed and can prevent the use of
> the swap file. Such a scene just CAN'T be rendered on a 32 bits system.
>
> Any gain in speed don't come from the 64 bits processing, but from the generaly
> more clock effecient 64 bits processors.
>
> --
> Alain
> You know you've been raytracing too long when your idea of a complete computer
> is a fast CPU, lots of RAM, and a means of running POVray.
> Aaron Gage a.k.a Slartibartfast

I know it's been a long long time, but I just wanted to add to this conversation
that fact that the 64 bit processors also have several more registers than the
IA-32 counterparts.

So with 64 bit you get more memory access, and more registers on the "good"
side.  On the "bad" side is the fact that all pointers are now 8 bytes, which
may negatively affect your data cache performance.

--Keith Brafford

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2009 19:45:38
Message: <4adba8a2$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> It's not realy about speed, but about RAM access capacity.
>> With the 32 bits version, there is an absolute limit of 4Gb for the amount of
>> RAM available, more like 2 to 3 Gb due to various OS limitations.
>> With the 64 bits version, that limit disapears, BUT, you also must be running a
>> 64 bits OS on a 64 bits CPU, with enough RAM installed.
>>
>> This can come to a faster rendering IF you have a scene that need LOTS of space
>> in memory (over 4Gb), have all the memory installed and can prevent the use of
>> the swap file. Such a scene just CAN'T be rendered on a 32 bits system.
>>
>> Any gain in speed don't come from the 64 bits processing, but from the generaly
>> more clock effecient 64 bits processors.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>> You know you've been raytracing too long when your idea of a complete computer
>> is a fast CPU, lots of RAM, and a means of running POVray.
>> Aaron Gage a.k.a Slartibartfast
>
> I know it's been a long long time, but I just wanted to add to this conversation
> that fact that the 64 bit processors also have several more registers than the
> IA-32 counterparts.
>
> So with 64 bit you get more memory access, and more registers on the "good"
> side.  On the "bad" side is the fact that all pointers are now 8 bytes, which
> may negatively affect your data cache performance.
>
> --Keith Brafford

True, but 64 bits CPUs also have more cache than the 32s.
So, while you put about twice as much data in the cache, that cache is
often 2 to 4 times larger... and have a 64 bits data pipe.

Alain