POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor : Re: POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor Server Time
19 May 2024 18:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY 64 Bit for XP 64bit and AMD 64bit processor
From: Alain
Date: 6 Nov 2007 14:17:17
Message: <4730bdbd$1@news.povray.org>
Woody nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/05 19:09:
> Can anyone give me some insight into the advantages of using the version of
> POVRAY specifically meant for the 64 bit WinXP and and AMD 64 bit processor.
>
> Hopefully runtime would be an advantage? Does anybody have any ballpark about
> how much faster? 50% faster 3300% faster?
>
> Any other advantages?

It's not realy about speed, but about RAM access capacity.
With the 32 bits version, there is an absolute limit of 4Gb for the amount of
RAM available, more like 2 to 3 Gb due to various OS limitations.
With the 64 bits version, that limit disapears, BUT, you also must be running a
64 bits OS on a 64 bits CPU, with enough RAM installed.

This can come to a faster rendering IF you have a scene that need LOTS of space
in memory (over 4Gb), have all the memory installed and can prevent the use of
the swap file. Such a scene just CAN'T be rendered on a 32 bits system.

Any gain in speed don't come from the 64 bits processing, but from the generaly
more clock effecient 64 bits processors.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your idea of a complete computer