POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Help, Preview_File_Size or Why is it so blocky... Server Time
18 May 2024 16:56:20 EDT (-0400)
  Help, Preview_File_Size or Why is it so blocky... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Fred Smith
Subject: Help, Preview_File_Size or Why is it so blocky...
Date: 29 Aug 2005 23:15:01
Message: <web.4313cf09593281952e773a5c0@news.povray.org>
Sometimes POV files render 1 line (or one pixel) at a time. Other times they
render in what I think is called mosaic preview mode. This seems to run much
slower, but I can't find out how to turn it off. Is there a command I can
put in the POVRAY.INI file to make sure it always renders one line (one
pixel) at a time? or do I have to modify the .POV file or the includes or
some obscure menu item. I am using POV-Ray 3.6 and I spent the last hour
looking for the answer to this simple question in the help files and online.
Thanks to any kind soul who will post the answer to this. Fred
(Yes I'm running windoze)

"Fred Smith" <paj### [at] verizonnet> wrote:
> Sometimes POV files render 1 line (or one pixel) at a time. Other times they
> render in what I think is called mosaic preview mode. This seems to run much
> slower, but I can't find out how to turn it off.

  It should render a preview if and only if you use radiosity. You can
manage the amount of pretrace with radiosity options. And yes, radiosity is
slow. It can involve a huge amount of computation to get a good result.

Post a reply to this message

Fred Smith nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-08-29 23:14:
> Sometimes POV files render 1 line (or one pixel) at a time. Other times they
> render in what I think is called mosaic preview mode. This seems to run much
> slower, but I can't find out how to turn it off. Is there a command I can
> put in the POVRAY.INI file to make sure it always renders one line (one
> pixel) at a time? or do I have to modify the .POV file or the includes or
> some obscure menu item. I am using POV-Ray 3.6 and I spent the last hour
> looking for the answer to this simple question in the help files and online.
> Thanks to any kind soul who will post the answer to this. Fred
> (Yes I'm running windoze)

If the scene is not your's, check the code. You will see that is contain a
radiosity{...} block. The
mosaic "preview" is in fact the pretrace step used to gather preleminary radiosity
samples. Once
that phase is completed, the "regular" render start a line at a time.
For non-radiosity, that pretrace step is not needed, so, you don't see the mosaic.
You can force the mosaic preview if you wish by using a command line switch like:
+SP<value> +EP<value>

Look in the documentation entry 3.1.2.3.4 Mosaic Preview.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 30 Aug 2005 19:28:02
Message: <4314eb82$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> You can force the mosaic preview if you wish by using a command line
> switch like:
> +SP<value> +EP<value>
> Look in the documentation entry 3.1.2.3.4 Mosaic Preview.

The mosaic preview is particularly handy for getting the general idea of
a render that'd otherwise take a week, such as general
light/object/camera positioning if you haven't got everything perfectly
planned out beforehand.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean