POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95 Server Time
18 May 2024 18:37:35 EDT (-0400)
  v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95 (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: 1Daedalus
Subject: v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95
Date: 22 Aug 2005 15:40:00
Message: <web.430a2962bd1661ef40d52b80@news.povray.org>
The Windows section of the download says, "The 32-bit version requires at
least Windows 95 ...", implying that it will run on Windows/95; however the
current v3.6 binary does not.  It installs properly but when you attempt to
start povray,  an error message-box appears saying somthing about povray
being linked to shell.dll which is missing export GetSpecialFolderNames."

It would be helpful to have a binary that continues to run properly on
Windows/95, thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> The Windows section of the download says, "The 32-bit version requires at
> least Windows 95 ...", implying that it will run on Windows/95; however the
> current v3.6 binary does not.  It installs properly but when you attempt to
> start povray,  an error message-box appears saying somthing about povray
> being linked to shell.dll which is missing export GetSpecialFolderNames."
>
> It would be helpful to have a binary that continues to run properly on
> Windows/95, thanks.

You should install the strongly recommended Internet Explorer 4 if you
haven't.  A proper shell.dll certainly is included with it.  I don't know if
it is included in IE 3 or not (the download page says IE 3 is required, that
might be outdated, I just don't know.)

The function you are missing probably is "SHGetSpecialFolderPath" as there
is no such thing as "GetSpecialFolderNames" anywhere in the POV-Ray for
Windows source code.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > The Windows section of the download says, "The 32-bit version requires at
> > least Windows 95 ...", implying that it will run on Windows/95; however the
> > current v3.6 binary does not.  It installs properly but when you attempt to
> > start povray,  an error message-box appears saying somthing about povray
> > being linked to shell.dll which is missing export GetSpecialFolderNames."
> >
> > It would be helpful to have a binary that continues to run properly on
> > Windows/95, thanks.
>
> You should install the strongly recommended Internet Explorer 4 if you
> haven't.  A proper shell.dll certainly is included with it.  I don't know if
> it is included in IE 3 or not (the download page says IE 3 is required, that
> might be outdated, I just don't know.)
>
> The function you are missing probably is "SHGetSpecialFolderPath" as there
> is no such thing as "GetSpecialFolderNames" anywhere in the POV-Ray for
> Windows source code.
>
>  Thorsten

This system has IE 5.0 installed.  The unsuported function POV-ray
references is actually "SHGetSpecialFolderPathA" (the non-unicode version
of that Win32 API function).

Post a reply to this message

> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>
>>1Daedalus wrote:
>>
>>>The Windows section of the download says, "The 32-bit version requires at
>>>least Windows 95 ...", implying that it will run on Windows/95; however the
>>>current v3.6 binary does not.  It installs properly but when you attempt to
>>>start povray,  an error message-box appears saying somthing about povray
>>>being linked to shell.dll which is missing export GetSpecialFolderNames."
>>>
>>>It would be helpful to have a binary that continues to run properly on
>>>Windows/95, thanks.
>>
>>You should install the strongly recommended Internet Explorer 4 if you
>>haven't.  A proper shell.dll certainly is included with it.  I don't know if
>>it is included in IE 3 or not (the download page says IE 3 is required, that
>>might be outdated, I just don't know.)
>>
>>The function you are missing probably is "SHGetSpecialFolderPath" as there
>>is no such thing as "GetSpecialFolderNames" anywhere in the POV-Ray for
>>Windows source code.
>>
>> Thorsten
>

> This system has IE 5.0 installed.  The unsuported function POV-ray
> references is actually "SHGetSpecialFolderPathA" (the non-unicode version
> of that Win32 API function).

Sounds like Shell32.dll was replaced by an older version. I'd recommend
reinstalling IE5 or downloading and installing IE6 (if it runs on 95...)

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!

Post a reply to this message

Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> 1Daedalus wrote:
> > Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> >>You should install the strongly recommended Internet Explorer 4 if you
> >>haven't.  A proper shell.dll certainly is included with it.  I don't know if
> >>it is included in IE 3 or not (the download page says IE 3 is required, that
> >>might be outdated, I just don't know.)
> >>
> >>The function you are missing probably is "SHGetSpecialFolderPath" as there
> >>is no such thing as "GetSpecialFolderNames" anywhere in the POV-Ray for
> >>Windows source code.
> >>
> >> Thorsten
> >

> > This system has IE 5.0 installed.  The unsuported function POV-ray
> > references is actually "SHGetSpecialFolderPathA" (the non-unicode version
> > of that Win32 API function).
> >

> Sounds like Shell32.dll was replaced by an older version. I'd recommend
> reinstalling IE5 or downloading and installing IE6 (if it runs on 95...)
>
> --
> ~Mike
>
> Things! Billions of them!

The machine had IE 4.0 when I installed POV-Ray v3.6 (replacing V3.0).
When I encountered the "GetSpecialFolders..." error I installed IE 5.0,
knowing that IE upgrades sometimes fix such things.  At this point, other
than reporting this incompatability to the POV-Ray team, there is no point
in diagnosing the problem further.  The grade-school kids who use this
system can make do with v3.0.