POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95 : Re: v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95 Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:45:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.6 binary for Windows does not run on Windows95
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Aug 2005 15:58:05
Message: <430a2e4d$1@news.povray.org>
1Daedalus wrote:
> The Windows section of the download says, "The 32-bit version requires at
> least Windows 95 ...", implying that it will run on Windows/95; however the
> current v3.6 binary does not.  It installs properly but when you attempt to
> start povray,  an error message-box appears saying somthing about povray
> being linked to shell.dll which is missing export GetSpecialFolderNames."
>
> It would be helpful to have a binary that continues to run properly on
> Windows/95, thanks.

You should install the strongly recommended Internet Explorer 4 if you
haven't.  A proper shell.dll certainly is included with it.  I don't know if
it is included in IE 3 or not (the download page says IE 3 is required, that
might be outdated, I just don't know.)

The function you are missing probably is "SHGetSpecialFolderPath" as there
is no such thing as "GetSpecialFolderNames" anywhere in the POV-Ray for
Windows source code.

	Thorsten