POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Can only read bitmaps from 1 or 2 directories. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 05:59:11 EDT (-0400)
  Can only read bitmaps from 1 or 2 directories. (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: David Wimp
Subject: Can only read bitmaps from 1 or 2 directories.
Date: 25 Sep 2004 19:40:00
Message: <web.415601338cce1f799facb7af0@news.povray.org>
I am using POV-Ray for Windows 3.5.  I can only read bitmaps from one
directory or two. (I can't seem to read but from one now)  I have copied
the files to other directories but when I try to read them from there I get
"Error opening bitmap".  I have all the script blocking stuff off.  I have
tried saving the POV-Ray source to another directory, but I can still only
read from the original  directory.  It seems that I have to move files in
and out of the blessed directory rather than changing the path in the
program.  Why is that one directory special?

Post a reply to this message

David Wimp nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-09-25 19:37... :

>I am using POV-Ray for Windows 3.5.  I can only read bitmaps from one
>directory or two. (I can't seem to read but from one now)  I have copied
>the files to other directories but when I try to read them from there I get
>"Error opening bitmap".  I have all the script blocking stuff off.  I have
>tried saving the POV-Ray source to another directory, but I can still only
>read from the original  directory.  It seems that I have to move files in
>and out of the blessed directory rather than changing the path in the
>program.  Why is that one directory special?

You need to edit the "povray.ini" file. Open it on notepad and scroll to
the end.
Here, add a new line:
Library_path="<path to your bitmap source>"

You can also add a default output folder for your images like this (same
file):
Output_file_Name="<some path>\images\"
If you do, you also need to add this line in pvengine.ini in the \ini
folder in the [Permitted Output Paths] section:
3="<some path>\images\"
both should be the same.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Oct 2004 07:30:35
Message: <416528db$1@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertygov> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> You need to edit the "povray.ini" file. Open it on notepad and scroll to
> the end.

Actually, this is wrong. You need to edit the scene specific INI file, not
the global INI file. The shortcut is to add the dirs on the command-line.
Either way, editing povray.ini is wrong.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Oct 2004 07:57:25
Message: <41652f25@news.povray.org>
> Actually, this is wrong. You need to edit the scene specific INI file, not
> the global INI file. The shortcut is to add the dirs on the command-line.
> Either way, editing povray.ini is wrong.

  It's not wrong if the directories in question are generic bitmap
directories used to store bitmaps for many scenes. That is, the
directories are a generic repository for widely-used bitmaps.

  Naturally if the bitmaps are just for one single scene, the
include paths are better added for that scene alone.

  However, without knowing the specifics, it's hard to know which
approach is better.