POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Multiboot help Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Multiboot help (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Multiboot help
Date: 22 Jul 2002 13:16:00
Message: <95fojuklsmhjfto5bju565dkg0v5huov32@4ax.com>
I know this is off-topic but not too many people read p.o-t - please
forgive me.

I am having trouble setting a multi-boot system using WinXP Pro and
Win98SE. I can do it with lilo but I was wondering whether Windows is
capable of that. All tutorials and help I've found online and in the
help and manual offer the following advice - install 98, install XP,
it will do it by itself... but what if I already have them installed?
I unplugged the 98 hard drive when installing XP (just in case) if
that explains my situation...

Here's my boot.ini (in XP):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="98" /fastdetect /win95

It gets to the menu, tries to boot 98 and fails with an error along
the lines of:

"Cannot find hal.dll, please reinstall the file and try again"

hal.dll is an NT thing, IIRC, so I guess the bootloader has no idea it
has to load 98...

Any help, guys? I hate having to go to the BIOS every time I switch
OSs.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg