POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Force save incomplete output? Server Time: 17 Jan 2019 02:45:29 GMT
  Force save incomplete output? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 21 Feb 2018 11:31:33
Message: <5a8d5895$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to force POV-Ray to save a render to disk, even though it 
is incomplete?


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 21 Feb 2018 17:01:37
Message: <5a8da5f1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.02.2018 um 12:31 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Is there a way to force POV-Ray to save a render to disk, even though it
> is incomplete?

Nope.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 12:00:00
Message: <web.5a90016793c5762a47873e10@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>
> Nope.

IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
(which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
3.7.0(?)


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 13:17:43
Message: <5a901477$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/02/2018 11:58, Kenneth wrote:
> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> 
>>
>> Nope.
> 
> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)


I seem to remember that too. Earlier than v3.6.2 I'm still running that 
for Bishop3D.



-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 13:24:50
Message: <5a901622$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/23/2018 6:58 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> 
>>
>> Nope.
> 
> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 


BMP is uncompressed, so I'm guessing each pixel is appended 
sequentially, and a partial image will display by default.

PNG images are maybe compressed *after* all the pixels have been written.

Forcing output could still be done however. But continuing a stopped 
render may no longer be possible afterward.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 13:34:25
Message: <5a901861$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/21/2018 06:31 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Is there a way to force POV-Ray to save a render to disk, even though it 
> is incomplete?
> 
> 
> Mike

FYI:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/144

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 13:45:40
Message: <5a901b04$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-02-23 à 08:25, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/23/2018 6:58 AM, Kenneth wrote:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Nope.
>>
>> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP 
>> renders
>> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember 
>> stopping
>> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not 
>> partial PNG
>> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
>> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file 
>> implementation in
>> 3.7.0(?)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 
> 
> BMP is uncompressed, so I'm guessing each pixel is appended 
> sequentially, and a partial image will display by default.
> 
> PNG images are maybe compressed *after* all the pixels have been written.
> 
> Forcing output could still be done however. But continuing a stopped 
> render may no longer be possible afterward.
> 
> 
> Mike

Before 3.7, PNG images where compressed one line at a time. Render a 
line, compress THAT line, save to file with the previous lines.
In my case, I was able to open incomplete renders saved as PNG with 
IrfanView. Some other viewers could have dificulty for those.


Alain


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 14:50:00
Message: <web.5a9029f293c5762a47873e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>  On 2/23/2018 6:58 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> > (But not partial PNG renders-- they didn't open.

> In my case, I was able to open incomplete renders saved as PNG with
> IrfanView. Some other viewers could have dificulty for those.
>

I was probably using just Windows Photo Viewer at the time (in Win XP), and/or
my old (and still old!) Photoshop.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Force save incomplete output?
Date: 23 Feb 2018 19:20:44
Message: <5a90698c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.02.2018 um 12:58 schrieb Kenneth:
> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> 
>>
>> Nope.
> 
> IIRC, some older versions did... at least with Windows-specific .BMP renders
> (which is how I used to run POV-Ray.) Maybe 3.6.1 or 3.6.2? I remember stopping
> some time-consuming renders and taking a look at them. (But not partial PNG
> renders-- they didn't open. I'm guessing that some kind of 'header' file
> information was missing..) This was before the 'state' file implementation in
> 3.7.0(?)

v3.6 and earlier wrote image files "on the fly", leaving files
technically broken if render was aborted. However, depending on the file
format and reading application, such partial files could sometimes be
loaded in other applications.

At least that's what happened to my understanding. There may also have
been mechanisms in place that, when aborting a render, would just fill
the remainder of the file with black pixels to complete the image. But
in that case partial PNG files should have worked as well.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.