POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : I start POV-Ray and my laptop reboots itself Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  I start POV-Ray and my laptop reboots itself (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Ian J  Burgmyer
Subject: Re: I start POV-Ray and my laptop reboots itself
Date: 6 Mar 2003 23:30:06
Message: <3e68204e$1@news.povray.org>
Scott Gammans's furious key-hammering produced this:
> Yesterday my laptop started rebooting itself as soon as I open POV-Ray 3.5.
> I'll get as far as the splash screen and then suddenly I see a black screen
> as the laptop restarts itself.

Weird.  Does the screen look like it might be flashing blue for a fraction of
a second?  It sounds like a driver problem (resulting in a blue screen) of death
to me.

Try this: right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties".  Click on the
"Advanced" tab of the dialog box that comes up and click on the "Settings"
button near "Startup and Recovery".  Under the "System Failure" frame, ensure
that "automatically restart" is turned off.  If it was on, click "ok" on both
dialogs and try starting POV-Ray.  If you get a blue screen with debugging
information, write down the error codes and any other information that could
pin-point what driver is failing (probably a driver with a .drv or .sys
extension such as "nv4disp.drv").  Most of the numbers are meaningless to many
of the people here so you shouldn't have to include them.

On the other hand, if the option was off in the first place, leave it off,
cancel out of both dialogs, but don't start POV-Ray.

--
/*^*/light_source{100*<-5,2,-5>2}#macro I(i,n)#while(strlen(i)>=n)#local A=asc(
substr(i,n,1));#local a=asc(substr(i,n+1,1));cylinder{<div(A,8)-12,mod(A,8)-4,4
/*<*/)I("mkmtlttk"1)//@_$#!,:<"Thhis polysig brought to you by Ian Burgmyer :)"

Post a reply to this message