POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Command Line POV-Ray 3.5 GUIEXT. Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Command Line POV-Ray 3.5 GUIEXT. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Andrew Wilcox
Subject: Command Line POV-Ray 3.5 GUIEXT.
Date: 9 Sep 2002 12:12:51
Message: <3d7cc883$1@news.povray.org>
Ok,

I finally, gotmy GUIEXT working that can run POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 from
the command-line, and let POV stay in the background.  I need to test it a
little more, and add a couple of minor DLL calls, but other than that it's
pretty much done.

Here's my question.  I've never actually released software to the public
before, and I'd like to do this in a way, that won't allow people to abuse
POV-Ray.  How do I go about setting up a license agreement, etc?  I'd also
like to have someone on the POV team look at it before I released it, so
they can have some input.  It still requires POV to start and show it's
splash screen once, but after that POV is happy to remain in the background.

Comments, suggestions...

Andrew Wilcox

#macro Q(A,E,W)box{-A/2,A/2pigment{rgb 9*W}translate E*A+W/1000}#end#macro
M(D,E)#local A=1/pow(3,D);#if(D<3)#local C=D+1;union{M(C,1)M(C,x+y)M(C,x+z)
M(C,y+z)M(C,x+y-z)M(C,x+z-y)M(C,y+z-x)M(C,x-y)M(C,z-x)M(C,y-z)M(C,y-x)M(C,
x-z)M(C,z-y)M(C,x-y-z)M(C,y-x-z)M(C,z-x-y)translate A*E}#else Q(A,E,x)Q(A,E
,y)Q(A,E,z)#end#end union{M(0,0)rotate<45,145,0>translate z*2}//Andrew

Post a reply to this message

> I finally, gotmy GUIEXT working that can run POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 from
> the command-line, and let POV stay in the background.  I need to test it a
> little more, and add a couple of minor DLL calls, but other than that it's
> pretty much done.
>
> Here's my question.  I've never actually released software to the public
> before, and I'd like to do this in a way, that won't allow people to abuse
> POV-Ray.  How do I go about setting up a license agreement, etc?  I'd also
> like to have someone on the POV team look at it before I released it, so
> they can have some input.  It still requires POV to start and show it's
> splash screen once, but after that POV is happy to remain in the background.

I think it's a good idea in general.  I would make the program print a
text similar to the one generated by the command line version.  I don't
know much about the GUI extensions, but printing the statistics after the
render would also be a good idea if possible.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Could you post a sample of what the command line version prints.  I don't
have access to a Linux or Unix box (much sadness and wailing, etc...)

Thanks. :-)

--
#macro Q(A,E,W)box{-A/2,A/2pigment{rgb 9*W}translate E*A+W/1000}#end#macro
M(D,E)#local A=1/pow(3,D);#if(D<3)#local C=D+1;union{M(C,1)M(C,x+y)M(C,x+z)
M(C,y+z)M(C,x+y-z)M(C,x+z-y)M(C,y+z-x)M(C,x-y)M(C,z-x)M(C,y-z)M(C,y-x)M(C,
x-z)M(C,z-y)M(C,x-y-z)M(C,y-x-z)M(C,z-x-y)translate A*E}#else Q(A,E,x)Q(A,E
,y)Q(A,E,z)#end#end union{M(0,0)rotate<45,145,0>translate z*2}//Andrew

> I think it's a good idea in general.  I would make the program print a
> text similar to the one generated by the command line version.  I don't
> know much about the GUI extensions, but printing the statistics after the
> render would also be a good idea if possible.
>
> Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> Could you post a sample of what the command line version prints.  I don't
> have access to a Linux or Unix box (much sadness and wailing, etc...)

About the same as WinPOV prints in the message window (or with +gafile).

Christoph