POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Search for utility Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Search for utility (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: M Hilburger
Subject: Search for utility
Date: 5 Jan 2001 10:46:41
Message: <3A55EC46.23F70BDC@aol.com>
A few weeks ago i read something about a program which makes povray
faster. Can anyone tell me where i can find it?
Thanks
    Matt

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Search for utility
Date: 5 Jan 2001 11:01:29
Message: <3A55EFD0.1D520D53@gmx.de>
M Hilburger wrote:

> A few weeks ago i read something about a program which makes povray
> faster. Can anyone tell me where i can find it?
> Thanks
>     Matt

I'm not sure if such a tool exists, but i don't think it could seriously
improve Povray's speed.  The best ways to speed up things are:

- Shutting down all other applications taking CPU time and memory
- increasing render priority
- optimising render options and code
- get better hardware :-)

see also:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/miscVFAQ.html#renderingspeed

Apart from that i don't think you can increase speed with the same version
of Povray.  You could of course try to compile your own version optimized
for your hardware.  Furthermore it is well known, that the Linux version
of Povray is slightly faster than the windows version.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>