POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Search for utility : Re: Search for utility Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:11:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Search for utility
From: Bob H
Date: 9 Jan 2001 21:06:20
Message: <3a5bc39c@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:XpO### [at] econymdemoncouk...

> >A few weeks ago i read something about a program which makes povray
> >faster. Can anyone tell me where i can find it?
>
> Could you possibly be thinking of the old "Faster-than-POV" program? It
> was a patched version of POV version 2.1 that used light buffers, and
> thereby ran noticeably faster than POV 2.1.
>
> POV version 3.1 has light buffers built in.

There used to be something called POV-Pro (Proton) as well and I haven't had
any luck locating it again.  It's based on the DOS POV 3.0 and had a ASCII for
render display.  Was quite fast, up to 50% it was said, I saw almost that much
a speed increase for certain renders.

Bob H.