POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows through subtraction Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Windows through subtraction (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chad Kruger
Subject: Windows through subtraction
Date: 18 Jun 2000 00:47:40
Message: <394C5575.69B14A3D@hotmail.com>
Hello, everyone.

I'm having a bit of a problem I was hoping you could help me with.

I am attempting to model a room with some windows.  I started by
defining the room as a basic object, hollow mind you, and then subtract
boxes from the object through using the difference function.

I've tried speicifying the boxes as hollow, only the boxes as hollow,
only the room as hollow, and everything not hollow.

Instead, all I get are some black boxes exactly where the difference
should be.

Here's the code:

merge {
  difference {
    cylinder {
      <0, 0, 0>
      <0, 200, 0>
      100
      hollow on
      pigment {
        Grey
      }
      finish {
        ambient 0.5
      }
    }

    box {
      <-110, 70, -4>
      <-90, 80, -2>
      hollow on
    }

    box {
      <-110, 70, 4>
      <-90, 80, 2>
      hollow on
    }
  }
}

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm having a bit of a problem I was hoping you could help me with.
>
> I am attempting to model a room with some windows.  I started by
> defining the room as a basic object, hollow mind you, and then subtract
> boxes from the object through using the difference function.
>
> I've tried speicifying the boxes as hollow, only the boxes as hollow,
> only the room as hollow, and everything not hollow.

A common mistake. The "hollow" keyword DOES NOT make an object hollow.
It is there purely for the purposes of the media feature (You will use
"hollow" when you need to use an object as a container for media.)

See:
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/languageVFAQ.html#hollowobjects

 What you need to do is make a box the size you want your room,
difference a slightly smaller box (to define the thickness of
the walls) from the inside of that, and then use your "windows"
boxes to make the window openings.

Again See:
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/languageVFAQ.html#hollowobjects