POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browser supported format without color banding or concentric circles??? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:40:58 EDT (-0400)
  Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browser supported format without color banding or concentric circles??? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Paul
Subject: Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browser supported format without color banding or concentric circles???
Date: 20 Feb 2000 11:47:45
Message: <38b01ab1@news.povray.org>
I'm producing a CD based website for someone who has given me a number of
bmp files generated by POV-Ray 3.1 for windows. The website has to be
viewable in a minimum of 16 bit high color, at 800 x 600 resolution and be
viewable in internet explorer 3.0 from microsoft. Naturally image quality is
important but it is also important to deliver the images effectively via a
web browser interface.

The problem I have is that in order to view the images in internet explorer
3.0 (which does not support bmp or png file formats) i'm converting the
original bmp files to the jpg file format. With a low compression ratio the
loss in image quality is acceptable. However when i drop my machine's color
depth down from 32 bit true color to the required minimum of 16 bit high
color I get color banding or concentric circles on the images.

I've tried using various image manipulation techniques to reduce the color
depth without effecting the image quality too seriously, but nothing seems
to get rid of the color banding or concentric circles without completely
destroying the pictures. I've also had a play with POV-Ray (since i've been
given the original files too) but nothing i've tried (including changing the
render settings and ini files) seems to work.

I have access to a large collection of image manipulation software such as
photoshop, paintshop pro etc, but nothing there seems to work either.

Please help, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks
Paul

Post a reply to this message

The easiest thing to do is to switch to 16-bit mode, view the image in
an image viewing program capable of dithering to 16-bit (such as
ACDSee or IrfanView or others) and taking a snapshot of the dithered
image.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

> I'm producing a CD based website for someone who has given me a number of
> bmp files generated by POV-Ray 3.1 for windows. The website has to be
> viewable in a minimum of 16 bit high color, at 800 x 600 resolution and be
> viewable in internet explorer 3.0 from microsoft. Naturally image quality is
> important but it is also important to deliver the images effectively via a
> web browser interface.
>
> The problem I have is that in order to view the images in internet explorer
> 3.0 (which does not support bmp or png file formats) i'm converting the
> original bmp files to the jpg file format. With a low compression ratio the
> loss in image quality is acceptable. However when i drop my machine's color
> depth down from 32 bit true color to the required minimum of 16 bit high
> color I get color banding or concentric circles on the images.

I would suggest a requirement change from 16 bit to 24 bit color.
Browsers are not designed to be high-quality image viewers and the only
reasonable quality for an image will be available with 24 bit color. After
all a browser is not a WYSIWYG tool.
To view images on systems with less than 24 bit color, I would suggest an
image archive program, not a web browser.  However, more recent browser
versions should support dithering.

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> The easiest thing to do is to switch to 16-bit mode, view the image in
> an image viewing program capable of dithering to 16-bit (such as
> ACDSee or IrfanView or others) and taking a snapshot of the dithered
> image.

Hmm, where is the point of this idea?  Most image programs can export as 16
bit, which isn't the problem here.  And t won't help for JPEG compression as
it will "damage" the dithering anyway.

       Thorsten

Post a reply to this message