POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browser supported format without color banding or concentric circles??? : Re: Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browsersupported format without color banding or concentric circles?? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:43:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting POV-Ray bmp files to a suitable web browsersupported format without color banding or concentric circles??
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 Feb 2000 16:10:53
Message: <5VawOGZIyBblIh58DebZ9fByVGFx@4ax.com>
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:55:33 -0600, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <=B2wONypFmTSczwg0nfX=2Y8XPNX@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
><pet### [at] usanet>  wrote:
>
>> The easiest thing to do is to switch to 16-bit mode, view the image in
>> an image viewing program capable of dithering to 16-bit (such as
>> ACDSee or IrfanView or others) and taking a snapshot of the dithered
>> image.
>
>Hmm, where is the point of this idea?  Most image programs can export as 16
>bit, which isn't the problem here.  And t won't help for JPEG compression as
>it will "damage" the dithering anyway.
>

>       Thorsten

There's a point, believe me. Until two months ago I had a 2 MB video
board and so it could only go up to 16 bit color in 1024x768. I had
severe problems with my POV Desktop image. Windows does not dither the
wallpaper when in high-color mode so I had to apply this technique.
The image was made in PhotoShop and I don't recall any option for
saving it in 16 bit color from PS. Without the help of ACDSee, it
looked like a biodegradeable pile of animal waste material.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700