POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: alex wolff
Subject: mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request
Date: 1 Feb 2000 13:44:21
Message: <38972B57.3772A0E1@gmx.de>
hi,
to say in short: i don't like the way povray is doing the mosaic-
preview.
i would prefer a preview with color interpolation instead of big
8*8-blocks and the pixels should not be computed line by line but more
randomly all over the image. the result would be a preview which is very
unsharp at the start and is becoming sharper and sharper the longer you
wait...

of course, there are multiple ways of doing this. to serve them all,
here is my request:
can you make povray to be controlled by the GUI-extension in the way,
that povray is first parsing the scene and then renders only the pixels
the gui-ext. is asking for.

it would be enough, if povray is "talking" with the gui-ext. like this:
gui-ext.: >parse the file:"c:\povray3.1\scenes\myscene.pov"<
povray: >parsing...ready.<
gui-ext.: >give me the color of pixel (0.75,0.3)<
povray: >color is rgb<.24,.6,1><
gui-ext.: >give me the color of pixel blabla<
povray: >color is blahblah<
gui-ext.: >close renderer<
povray: >closed<

MARK!:
-there is no need to specify the image-resolution when pixels are called
in percent:
(0.0,0.0) means upper left
(1.0,1.0) means lower right

-there is no need to draw the image in the povray's window. the programm
of the gui-ext. is doing this.

-a very nice bonus would be, if povray additional to the rgb color
values of the pixel gives out the name of the object, which was first
hit by the ray!

with these functions you can:
-draw individual previews
-let the gui-ext. do the anti-aliasing-iterations
-recognize which object is in front of the view (helpful for
lensflare-fx)
-many more fun i don't know yet but am shure to exist!

alex wolff

Post a reply to this message