POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request : Re: mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request Server Time
6 Oct 2024 03:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mosaic-preview-by-GUI-extension-request
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 2 Feb 2000 00:30:09
Message: <3897c0e1@news.povray.org>
alex wolff wrote in message <38972B57.3772A0E1@gmx.de>...
>hi,
>to say in short: i don't like the way povray is doing the mosaic-
>preview.
>i would prefer a preview with color interpolation instead of big
>8*8-blocks and the pixels should not be computed line by line but more
>randomly all over the image. the result would be a preview which is very
>unsharp at the start and is becoming sharper and sharper the longer you
>wait...

I'm working on a pseudo-random drawing system for POV-Ray that is internal
to the program.  I hadn't thought about the possibility of doing the mosaic
preview this way.

A question for anyone who knows how the radiosity works: If the pixels are
being rendered at random instead of one line at a time, would it be possible
to skip the mosaic preview for radiosity?  I know that the purpose of the
preview is to set up some initial radiosity samples so that it is not
neccessary to compute very many additional samples for individual pixels
later.  If the pixels are being rendered at random, however, it seems to me
that this would do an adequate job of setting up the radiosity cache during
the final render, without the additional time taken by doing a preview.

Am I correct about this?

Mark