POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UberPOV stand-alone installer released Server Time: 26 Jul 2017 14:38:56 GMT
  UberPOV stand-alone installer released (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: clipka
Subject: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 26 Jul 2014 08:31:50
Message: <53d36776@news.povray.org>
UberPOV now has its own installer! Yay!

 From now on, UberPOV will come in two flavors:

- The classic version (e.g. 1.37.0.0-beta.7) that comes as a raw .exe to 
be dropped into an existing installation, and shares POV-Ray's entire 
ecosystem of sample scenes, include files, settings and what-have-you.

- A ".stalone" version (e.g. 1.37.0.0-beta.7.stalone) coming as a 
full-fledged installer, to set up its own ecosystem and neither require, 
nor mess with, any existing POV-Ray installation.

I'd be happy if some people would give the ".stalone" installer a test 
drive; you can download it from here:

https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases/tag/v1.37.0.0-beta.7

(Aside from being available as a stand-alone version, beta.7 should be 
virtually identical to beta.6.)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 26 Jul 2014 12:33:28
Message: <53d3a018$1@news.povray.org>
the .stalone version works flawlessly (see image in p.b.i.). Only thing 
I have not been able to do is install the editor. Do I have to run the 
installer inside the UberPOV folder maybe?

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 26 Jul 2014 17:47:08
Message: <53d3e99c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.07.2014 14:33, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> the .stalone version works flawlessly (see image in p.b.i.). Only thing
> I have not been able to do is install the editor. Do I have to run the
> installer inside the UberPOV folder maybe?

No; if you have an existing POV-Ray installation, it turns out you'll 
have to copy the files manually.

It also turns out that the editor - being a genuine POV-Ray component - 
still uses POV-Ray's part of the registry; I guess I'll have to roll my 
own version of that as well, but I'm somewhat wary of the legal side of it.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 27 Jul 2014 07:04:14
Message: <53d4a46e$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-7-2014 19:46, clipka wrote:
> No; if you have an existing POV-Ray installation, it turns out you'll
> have to copy the files manually.

no problem.

>
> It also turns out that the editor - being a genuine POV-Ray component -
> still uses POV-Ray's part of the registry; I guess I'll have to roll my
> own version of that as well, but I'm somewhat wary of the legal side of it.
>

Understood.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Friedrich
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 28 Jul 2014 09:03:21
Message: <53d611d9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.07.2014 10:31, schrieb clipka:> UberPOV now has its own installer! 
Yay!
 >
 >...
 >
 > I'd be happy if some people would give the ".stalone" installer
 > a test drive; ...

Thank you very much! Great work!
After copying the missing editor dlls for POV-Ray - no problems.


Tested your example files of the new features!
Every thing seems to be alright!

I'm missing: an example for blink feature!
I tried to invoke the motion blur effect but ... failed :-(


By the way:
I have corrected the include file "shapes3.inc"
(elimated a transformation error in one shape!)
I append it to this email.

It would be nice if you can integrate this corrected version
of the "shapes3.inc" in your UberPOV now, so it will have
the chance to be updated also in an update of the official POV-Ray 3.7.0
(... hope within the current century ;-) ).

Friedrich


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'windows-1252' (55 KB)

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 28 Jul 2014 11:15:10
Message: <53d630be@news.povray.org>
On 28-7-2014 11:03, Friedrich wrote:
> I'm missing: an example for blink feature!
> I tried to invoke the motion blur effect but ... failed :-(

Try this:

//With a James Holsenback metallic texture:
#macro MetalMat (Color)
material {
   texture {
     pigment {srgb Color*1.5}
     finish {
       brilliance 4
       diffuse 0
       metallic
       specular 0.80
       roughness 1/40
       reflection {srgb Color roughness 1e-5}
     }
   }
   interior {
     ior 1.5
   }
}
#end

//the calls: MetalMat (<0.65, 0.15, 0.25>) MetalMat (<0.5, 0.65, 0.25>) 
MetalMat (<0.25, 0.5, 0.65>)
#local Ovus =
ovus {
   1.00, 0.65 // base_radius, top_radius  with: top_radius< base_radius!
   translate 0.5*y
   scale 0.5
}

#local DeltaT = 0.1;

union {
   #for (T, 0.0, 1-DeltaT, DeltaT)
   object {Ovus rotate <0, 0, 2/T> blink 0, T+DeltaT}
   #end
   #for (T, 0.0, 1-DeltaT, DeltaT)
   object {Ovus rotate <0, 0, -2/T> blink 0, T+DeltaT}
   #end
   translate <-1.00, 0.0, -1>
   MetalMat (<0.65, 0.15, 0.25>)
}
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

union {
#for (T, 0.0, 1-DeltaT, DeltaT)
   sphere {
     <T, 0.25, -1.2>, 0.25
     blink 0, T+DeltaT
   }
#end
     MetalMat (<0.5, 0.65, 0.25>)
}


Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: UberPOV stand-alone installer released
Date: 28 Jul 2014 11:44:32
Message: <53d637a0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.07.2014 11:03, schrieb Friedrich:

> Am 26.07.2014 10:31, schrieb clipka:> UberPOV now has its own installer!
> Yay!
>  >
>  >...
>  >
>  > I'd be happy if some people would give the ".stalone" installer
>  > a test drive; ...
>
> Thank you very much! Great work!

Thanks. Love to hear that.

> I'm missing: an example for blink feature!

Looks like I goofed that one. You should be able to find one called 
"blink.pov" in the GitHub repo, right here:

https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/tree/master/distribution/scenes/uberpov

Apparently the revision I built was not the one tagged 
"v1.37.0.0-beta.7", but the commit right before that (83d4165). 
Fortunately the missing sample scene is the only thing that's different 
between the two.

> By the way:
> I have corrected the include file "shapes3.inc"
> (elimated a transformation error in one shape!)
> I append it to this email.
>
> It would be nice if you can integrate this corrected version
> of the "shapes3.inc" in your UberPOV now, so it will have
> the chance to be updated also in an update of the official POV-Ray 3.7.0
> (... hope within the current century ;-) ).

I won't do that. UberPOV is intended to be a collection of patches, not 
of fixes. If it's broken in POV-Ray, that's where it should be fixed.

I'll therefore submit it to the POV-Ray repo.

If you intend to provide more fixes, samples, templates etc., feel free 
to create your own fork of the POV-Ray repo on GitHub, make changes on 
that fork as you see fit, and then submit those changes as a pull 
request. Once you have gone through setting up that fork and installing 
a Git client (I'd recommend Atlassian SourceTree), I think that's the 
easiest procedure for all involved.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.