POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray window on top in Gnome Server Time
2 May 2024 00:46:52 EDT (-0400)
  Povray window on top in Gnome (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: HENON fabien
Subject: Povray window on top in Gnome
Date: 20 Jan 2008 17:25:00
Message: <web.4793c8fda6a9c9f95e1247470@news.povray.org>
I have a question to gnome experts :

I know how to keep on top a povray window in kde with "kstart --keepabove povray
+i...."

Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?

Thanks

Fabien

Post a reply to this message

From: Thierry CHARLES
Subject: Re: Povray window on top in Gnome
Date: 22 Jan 2008 17:56:25
Message: <47967499$1@news.povray.org>

> I have a question to gnome experts :
>
> I know how to keep on top a povray window in kde with "kstart --keepabo
ve povray
> +i...."
>

> Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Fabien

there is no equivalent, but kstart might work too (it works for the
desktop on wich to show the window)

Post a reply to this message

From: Bonsai
Date: 23 Jan 2008 03:01:25
Message: <4796f455$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

HENON fabien schrieb:
> Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?

Right mouse click on window title will give you a menu where you can
select what you want. Unfortunately I don't know a command line solution.

My two eurocents,

Bonsai

--
<--------------------------->
    ___ __ __  _ ___ ___  _
   | _ )  \  \( )  _) _ )( )
   | _ \() |\ \ |\ \/ _ \| |
   |___/__/_)\__)___)/ \_)_)

        www.b0n541.net
<--------------------------->

Post a reply to this message

From: HENON fabien
Date: 23 Jan 2008 16:50:00
Message: <web.4797b62a1f3c11e5ed77c1f50@news.povray.org>
Thierry CHARLES <thierry@_no_spam_les-charles.net> wrote:

> > I have a question to gnome experts :
> >
> > I know how to keep on top a povray window in kde with "kstart --keepabo
> ve povray
> > +i...."
> >

> > Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > Fabien
> >

> there is no equivalent, but kstart might work too (it works for the
> desktop on wich to show the window)

I guess that for this trick to work that konqueror or something alike has to be
installed somewhere in your system. Would it work on a 100 % gnome system ?

Fabien

Post a reply to this message

From: HENON fabien
Date: 23 Jan 2008 16:55:00
Message: <web.4797b6861f3c11e5ed77c1f50@news.povray.org>
Bonsai <bon### [at] b0n541net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> HENON fabien schrieb:
> > Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?
>
> Right mouse click on window title will give you a menu where you can
> select what you want. Unfortunately I don't know a command line solution.
>
> My two eurocents,
>
> Bonsai
>
> --
> <--------------------------->
>     ___ __ __  _ ___ ___  _
>    | _ )  \  \( )  _) _ )( )
>    | _ \() |\ \ |\ \/ _ \| |
>    |___/__/_)\__)___)/ \_)_)
>
>         www.b0n541.net
> <--------------------------->

After some googling, I found devil spie, but to make it work seems tricky. Has
anyone been able to make it work ?

Fabien

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Jan 2008 17:01:27
Message: <4797b937$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:49:58 -0500, HENON fabien wrote:

> Bonsai <bon### [at] b0n541net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> HENON fabien schrieb:
>> > Does anyone know what is the equivalent in a gnome environement ?
>>
>> Right mouse click on window title will give you a menu where you can
>> select what you want. Unfortunately I don't know a command line
>> solution.

> After some googling, I found devil spie, but to make it work seems
> tricky. Has anyone been able to make it work ?

Well, I often will flag a window as "Always on Top"; but if you're
developing a program, as an end-user, I'd implore you not to decide
what's most important to be in the foreground on my desktop, please.

I absolutely hate when apps decide to steal the focus from what I'm
interested in looking at.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: HENON fabien
Date: 24 Jan 2008 15:55:00
Message: <web.4798faf21f3c11e5d946b1330@news.povray.org>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:49:58 -0500, HENON fabien wrote:
>
> > Bonsai <bon### [at] b0n541net> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Right mouse click on window title will give you a menu where you can
> >> select what you want. Unfortunately I don't know a command line
> >> solution.
>
> > After some googling, I found devil spie, but to make it work seems
> > tricky. Has anyone been able to make it work ?
>
> Well, I often will flag a window as "Always on Top"; but if you're
> developing a program, as an end-user, I'd implore you not to decide
> what's most important to be in the foreground on my desktop, please.
>
> I absolutely hate when apps decide to steal the focus from what I'm
> interested in looking at.
>
> Jim

In wxpyvon, the user can decide whether they want to keep the render window
"Always on Top" or not in the menu.

The kstart trick works in kde, but I have to find a way around for gnome.

Cheers,

Fabien

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jan 2008 20:25:42
Message: <47993a96$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:54:10 -0500, HENON fabien wrote:

> In wxpyvon, the user can decide whether they want to keep the render
> window "Always on Top" or not in the menu.
>
> The kstart trick works in kde, but I have to find a way around for
> gnome.

Well, even without the kstart trick, the user still has the option to use
the menu to set that for a particular render...

Jim