POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : No graphical interface in GNOME Server Time
17 May 2024 00:51:27 EDT (-0400)
  No graphical interface in GNOME (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Peter
Subject: No graphical interface in GNOME
Date: 19 Aug 2007 15:25:00
Message: <web.46c8981fe404411e4ff9e6b60@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I just installed POV-Ray on Ubuntu GNU/Linux and everything seems to be
fine. But how do I start up the program? I mean, where is the interface?
Or am I on a wrong path here?
I've known POV-Ray from using it on Windows some years ago and there I
always had that nice editor, which was powerful and easy to use.

Will I have to do without that on Linux?

Post a reply to this message

Povray for linux only includes the rendering engine and a rendering
window ... The comunity has writen many tools wich will help you to
create your scenes (modelers and editors). You can find many of them
here (QTPov Editor eeing revrinted as XPE, KPovModeler, povray plugin
for Eclipse, etc ...)

Thierry.
http://qtpoveditor.sf.net

> Hi,
> I just installed POV-Ray on Ubuntu GNU/Linux and everything seems to be

> fine. But how do I start up the program? I mean, where is the interface
?
> Or am I on a wrong path here?
> I've known POV-Ray from using it on Windows some years ago and there I
> always had that nice editor, which was powerful and easy to use.
>
> Will I have to do without that on Linux?

Post a reply to this message

> I've known POV-Ray from using it on Windows some years ago and there I
> always had that nice editor, which was powerful and easy to use.
>
> Will I have to do without that on Linux?

Not at all.  turn on povray's preview mode +D on the command-line and be sure to
learn vim for a much more powerful and featureful general purpose text editing.

Post a reply to this message

>> Will I have to do without that on Linux?
>
> Not at all.  turn on povray's preview mode +D on the command-line and be sure to
> learn vim for a much more powerful and featureful general purpose text editing.

You can also use nedit (www.nedit.org), which is easier to use, and can
call POV from a shell command that can be bound to a single keystroke.
Send me an eMail off-list, and I'll send you my scripts and syntax
highlighting for it.  It is a much easier (I can't say better, as I am
not familiar with vim) solution.