POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Rendering stops Server Time
1 Jul 2024 13:04:37 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering stops (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: nomail
Subject: Rendering stops
Date: 20 Aug 2004 13:20:01
Message: <web.412631ba7647d3d46f9e640a0@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone!

I'm rather new to POV-Ray and have the problem that a large scene at a
resolution of 4000x4000 pixels stops at some point, without an error or
something.

Here's the version:

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1
(g++ 3.3.4 @sparc-sun-solaris2.9)

That's the last output:

-----

  0:41:27 Parsing 2184338K tokens
Cleanup Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental
 feature(s): radiosity. The design and implementation of these features is
 likely to change in future versions of POV-Ray. Full backward compatibility
 with the current implementation is NOT guaranteed.

  0:41:35 Creating bounding slabs
  0:43:47 Creating light buffers 2185280K tokens
Scene Statistics
  Finite objects:      3200000
  Infinite objects:          0
  Light sources:             1
  Total:               3200001

 66:52:24 Rendering line 2039 of 4000, 156519 supersamples, 7751674 rad.
samples
Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours 43 minutes 47 seconds (2627 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:  66 hours 56 minutes 28 seconds (240988 seconds)
  Total Time:   67 hours 40 minutes 15 seconds (243615 seconds)

-----

So what am I doing wrong? ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sincerely,
szr

Post a reply to this message

Ooops, forgot to answer this one...  sorry.

> I'm rather new to POV-Ray and have the problem that a large scene at a
> resolution of 4000x4000 pixels stops at some point, without an error or
> something.
> [snip]
>   0:41:27 Parsing 2184338K tokens
> Cleanup Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental
>  feature(s): radiosity.
> [snip]
>   0:43:47 Creating light buffers 2185280K tokens
> [snip]
>  66:52:24 Rendering line 2039 of 4000, 156519 supersamples, 7751674 rad.
> samples
> Total Scene Processing Times
>   Parse Time:    0 hours 43 minutes 47 seconds (2627 seconds)
>   Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>   Render Time:  66 hours 56 minutes 28 seconds (240988 seconds)
>   Total Time:   67 hours 40 minutes 15 seconds (243615 seconds)

	To sum up: you've got a large scene, rendered at large size
with radiosity.
	It's likely you face a memory problem.  Now, what surprises me
is that neither POV-Ray nor your system seem to report a memory failure.
Some systems do actually fail to return a proper error code when memory
cannot be allocated, resulting in the process to be killed (which is
not the case here, otherwise you would not even get the final stats).
So I'm a bit confused here.  Could you tell us more about your machine
specs ?

	I'd suggest you test rendering at lower image size (or without
radiosity) just to be sure your scene is able to render fully.  Probably
you already did so, hence I'd suggest to render your image on a machine
which has more memory, maybe an AMD64-based Linux box  :-)

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

> cannot be allocated, resulting in the process to be killed (which is
> not the case here, otherwise you would not even get the final stats)

	Correction: POV-Ray might catch the killing signal (as it does
when the user aborts manually with Ctrl+C) and quit "gracefully", thus
printing these stats.  However I don't really have the possibility to
test this particular situation.
	Does POV-Ray report memory statistics as well ?

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > cannot be allocated, resulting in the process to be killed (which is
> > not the case here, otherwise you would not even get the final stats)
>
>  Correction: POV-Ray might catch the killing signal (as it does
> when the user aborts manually with Ctrl+C) and quit "gracefully", thus
> printing these stats.  However I don't really have the possibility to
> test this particular situation.
>  Does POV-Ray report memory statistics as well ?
>
>  - NC

Hey folks:

I just ran into this trouble, and was greatful to find this causae, and
possible solution.

I am working on renderring a LEGO Brick model, and the error came up at 402K
tokens.  This explains alot, I am now trying to render on a bigger machine.

I am also wondering if breaking the model into include files, and objects
would help this.

Thanks in advance

Tim