POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OT: GIMP tip Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  OT: GIMP tip (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: GIMP tip
Date: 17 Mar 2004 15:56:18
Message: <4058bb72$1@news.povray.org>
In article <shhg50t59qu1pn7a21ffg57vhgqfsngbnq@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg>  wrote:

>>Photoshop never featured a root window on the operating system it was
>>orginally designed for.
>
> I believe it was not the case back when I used it on MacOS 7
> (PhotoShop 2.5.1 and 3.0).

I am not sure which way to read this.  Either way, Mac OS never had anything
like windows inside windows.

> I am aware of the fact this is so on MacOS
> X but you have to agree, if you have ever used the GIMP, that the
> difference in useability and workflow is vast.

I am not sure which way to read this.  Does GIMP have windows inside windows
in its Mac OS X port?  That would imply it is one of those crappy Trolltech
Qt framework applications.  Note that the Trolltech Qt framework does not
draw system windows.  It draws everything itself and provides a miserable
user experience on both Windows and Mac OS X whenever it tries to emulate
things not available on the platform natively (or the GUI changes like with
Windos XP or less so in Mac OS X 10.3).   On Mac OS applications that do not
follow the look and feel of the system will be avoided by users like hell,
and they tend to get bad reviews unless the reviewer was paid or is no
regular Mac OS user.

> Of course one should
> solely attribute it to lacking a root window because Adobe shows how
> it can be done well.

Well, ever notice the "Mac"-mode of Photoshop for Windows that places the
menu bar at the top of the screen and makes the root window cover
everything?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde