POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:46:38 EDT (-0400)
  X Windows display: disabled (Message 44 to 48 of 48)
From: Jeff Houck
Subject: Re: X Windows display: disabled
Date: 27 Mar 2020 12:00:01
Message: <web.5e7e21d06c2a6a24ba15bf7d0@news.povray.org>
BGimeno <bru### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
> the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
> does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
> the following message,
>
> Built-in features:
>    I/O restrictions:          enabled
>    X Window display:          disabled
>    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
>    Unsupported image formats: openexr
>
> Compilation settings:
>    Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
>    Compiler vendor:     gnu
>    Compiler version:    g++ 7
>    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
> -march=native -pthread
>    Libraries:           -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lrt -lm -lboost_thread
> -pthread  -lboost_system
>

> Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
>
> I have followed the detailed instructions in
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/README.md
> and I think that the dependencies listed do not include the necessary X
> server or XCygwin or X11 or XDisplay or whatever it is called.
>
> Can someone tell me what is needed to complete the installation?
>
> Thank you very much
> B. Gimeno

Sorry to necro this thread but ...

Is this issue being addressed in the current 3.8 branch? I'm compiling
povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268 on a Ubuntu-based distro after being advised it's
the most stable of the development versions. However, as others have posted
using either SDL1.2 or 2.0 throws errors in the compilation phase. I could
simply bash-script up a solution to invoke something like LXImage when the
render completes but having it "built in" is so convenient. :)

Just curious where this is at. I have some time now, retired and under
"lockdown" from the pandemic, to spend some time working on this problem.
However, if the 3.8 branch is no longer being actively developed (perhaps in
favor of 4.x?), or the SDL problem is addressed in another development version,
I'd like to know.

Any response is appreciated. Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

"Jeff Houck" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> Sorry to necro this thread but ...
>
> Is this issue being addressed in the current 3.8 branch? I'm compiling
> povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268 on a Ubuntu-based distro after being advised it's
> the most stable of the development versions. However, as others have posted
> using either SDL1.2 or 2.0 throws errors in the compilation phase.
> Any response is appreciated. Cheers.

re latest alpha compilation errors, was discussed here:

<http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C5c6b6863%241%40news.povray.org%3E/>

(I've posted a patch there too, hopefully making the BASH scripting unnecessary)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

"Jeff Houck" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> BGimeno <bru### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
> > the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
> > does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
> > the following message,
> >
> > Built-in features:
> >    I/O restrictions:          enabled
> >    X Window display:          disabled
> >    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
> >    Unsupported image formats: openexr
> >
> > Compilation settings:
> >    Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> >    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
> >    Compiler vendor:     gnu
> >    Compiler version:    g++ 7
> >    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> > -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
> > -march=native -pthread
> >    Libraries:           -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lrt -lm -lboost_thread
> > -pthread  -lboost_system
> >

> > Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
> >
> > I have followed the detailed instructions in
> > https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/README.md
> > and I think that the dependencies listed do not include the necessary X
> > server or XCygwin or X11 or XDisplay or whatever it is called.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what is needed to complete the installation?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> > B. Gimeno
>
> Sorry to necro this thread but ...
>
> Is this issue being addressed in the current 3.8 branch? I'm compiling
> povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268 on a Ubuntu-based distro after being advised it's
> the most stable of the development versions. However, as others have posted
> using either SDL1.2 or 2.0 throws errors in the compilation phase. I could
> simply bash-script up a solution to invoke something like LXImage when the
> render completes but having it "built in" is so convenient. :)
>
> Just curious where this is at. I have some time now, retired and under
> "lockdown" from the pandemic, to spend some time working on this problem.
> However, if the 3.8 branch is no longer being actively developed (perhaps in
> favor of 4.x?), or the SDL problem is addressed in another development version,
> I'd like to know.
>
> Any response is appreciated. Cheers.

FIXED

Well, it was fairly simple to fix when using SDL1.2. I added:

using namespace std:

to povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268/unix/disp_sdl.cpp:

    using namespace std;
    using namespace vfe;
    using namespace vfePlatform;

and it all compiles and works fine. I spent most of my time doing C programming
and not C++ so the namespace solution didn't jump out at me at first.

I'll leave changing over to SDL2 for later. It appears I'd have to mess about
with the m4 files ... ;)

Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

Le 27/03/2020 à 19:01, Jeff Houck a écrit :
> "Jeff Houck" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
>> BGimeno <bru### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> I have tried to compile the latest version 3.8.0.9861167 alpha and as in
>>> the official version that I compiled I still have the problem that it
>>> does not show the image while it is generated. While compiling it shows
>>> the following message,
>>>
>>> Built-in features:
>>>    I/O restrictions:          enabled
>>>    X Window display:          disabled
>>>    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
>>>    Unsupported image formats: openexr
>>>
>>> Compilation settings:
>>>    Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>>>    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
>>>    Compiler vendor:     gnu
>>>    Compiler version:    g++ 7
>>>    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
>>> -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
>>> -march=native -pthread
>>>    Libraries:           -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lrt -lm -lboost_thread
>>> -pthread  -lboost_system
>>>

>>> Note that in the Built-in features the X Windows display is disabled.
>>>
>>> I have followed the detailed instructions in
>>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/README.md
>>> and I think that the dependencies listed do not include the necessary X
>>> server or XCygwin or X11 or XDisplay or whatever it is called.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me what is needed to complete the installation?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much
>>> B. Gimeno
>>
>> Sorry to necro this thread but ...
>>
>> Is this issue being addressed in the current 3.8 branch? I'm compiling
>> povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268 on a Ubuntu-based distro after being advised it's
>> the most stable of the development versions. However, as others have posted
>> using either SDL1.2 or 2.0 throws errors in the compilation phase. I could
>> simply bash-script up a solution to invoke something like LXImage when the
>> render completes but having it "built in" is so convenient. :)
>>
>> Just curious where this is at. I have some time now, retired and under
>> "lockdown" from the pandemic, to spend some time working on this problem.
>> However, if the 3.8 branch is no longer being actively developed (perhaps in
>> favor of 4.x?), or the SDL problem is addressed in another development version,
>> I'd like to know.
>>
>> Any response is appreciated. Cheers.
>
> FIXED
>
> Well, it was fairly simple to fix when using SDL1.2. I added:
>
> using namespace std:
>
> to povray-3.8.0-alpha.10064268/unix/disp_sdl.cpp:
>
>     using namespace std;
>     using namespace vfe;
>     using namespace vfePlatform;
>
> and it all compiles and works fine. I spent most of my time doing C programming
> and not C++ so the namespace solution didn't jump out at me at first.
>
> I'll leave changing over to SDL2 for later. It appears I'd have to mess about
> with the m4 files ... ;)
>
> Cheers.

My 0.02c : Please have a look at hgpovray38 fork, where SDL2 is
available. Hope this can help a bit.

https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray

Sadly, linking to support both SDL1.2 and SDL2 is not possible.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeff Houck
Date: 28 Mar 2020 18:05:00
Message: <web.5e7fc93d6c2a6a24ba15bf7d0@news.povray.org>
> My 0.02c : Please have a look at hgpovray38 fork, where SDL2 is
> available. Hope this can help a bit.
>
> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray
>
> Sadly, linking to support both SDL1.2 and SDL2 is not possible.

Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to take a look at it. :)

Cheers.