POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:43:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: 3.7rc6 on Raspberry PI, with/without openexr image artifacts
Date: 12 Dec 2012 18:24:38
Message: <50c91236$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.12.2012 22:03, schrieb clipka:
> Am 12.12.2012 20:56, schrieb clipka:
>> Am 12.12.2012 20:30, schrieb clipka:
>>
>>> I swear I'm gonna find out what's going on here...
>>
>> Apparently there's something fishy happening with the phong highlighting.
>
> Further investigations suggest that the Pi isn't happy with denormalized
> values, at least not in single precision.
>
> I'll try to throw together some simple C test program, and if that
> confirms my observations I'll file it as a bug to the Pi people.

Apparently the problems are related to the -ffast-math compiler option;
I'll try whether turning that off will help.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 13 Dec 2012 02:52:37
Message: <50c98945@news.povray.org>
Am 13.12.2012 00:24, schrieb clipka:

> Apparently the problems are related to the -ffast-math compiler option;
> I'll try whether turning that off will help.

Well, no, not really. No success, except that now the color of the
artifacts is inverted.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'biscuit.png' (164 KB)

Preview of image 'biscuit.png'
biscuit.png

>> Apparently the problems are related to the -ffast-math compiler option;
>> I'll try whether turning that off will help.
>
> Well, no, not really. No success, except that now the color of the
> artifacts is inverted.

Turning off /all/ optimizations does give the expected results. I don't
consider this an option though, so I guess we'll have to wait for
feedback from the raspbian team.

Post a reply to this message