POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Modeling Programs for Linux? Server Time
17 May 2024 01:02:20 EDT (-0400)
  Modeling Programs for Linux? (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Modeling Programs for Linux?
Date: 18 May 2008 09:45:01
Message: <web.483031f6c26e6afa34d207310@news.povray.org>
"Steve Shelby" <ssh### [at] shelbyvisioncom> wrote:
> I just recently started using Linux (ubuntu) and would like to get back to
> doing some 3d work. I am used to using Moray in windows. I tried installing
> Wings3d, but can't get it to work. Do any of you use any modeling programs
> in Linux? Any recommendations?
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

Well, there is kpovmodeller.  It's a clunky interface, but if you're just moving
primitives around it could be of some use. The key feature being that it exports
directly to povray.

Post a reply to this message

"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Well, there is kpovmodeller.  It's a clunky interface, but if you're just moving
> primitives around it could be of some use. The key feature being that it exports
> directly to povray.

Another interesting feature is that it imports pov files. Mesh2 is not supported
AFAIK.

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com 3D and Design
http://www.losmiercoles.net Music (Creative Commons)

Post a reply to this message

"Steve Shelby" <ssh### [at] shelbyvisioncom> wrote:
> I just recently started using Linux (ubuntu) and would like to get back to
> doing some 3d work. I am used to using Moray in windows. I tried installing
> Wings3d, but can't get it to work. Do any of you use any modeling programs
> in Linux? Any recommendations?
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

    * Art of Illusion
    * Ayam
    * Aztec 3D
    * Blender
    * BRL-CAD
    * gSculpt.
    * Innovation 3D
    * K-3D
    * KpovModeler.
    * Moonlight|3D
    * TrueVision.
    * Wings 3D

Not all for POV-Ray, but all for LINUX avaiable.
Or have a look for more Modelers, renderer etc. (Free an comercial)

http://pengupedia.de/3D_Programme

The site is in german language

Post a reply to this message

> "Steve Shelby" <ssh### [at] shelbyvisioncom> wrote:
>> I just recently started using Linux (ubuntu) and would like to get back
>> doing some 3d work. I am used to using Moray in windows. I tried
>> installing
>> Wings3d, but can't get it to work. Do any of you use any modeling
>> programs
>> in Linux? Any recommendations?
>> Thank you,
>> Steve Shelby
>

>    * Art of Illusion
>    * Ayam
>    * Aztec 3D
>    * Blender
>    * BRL-CAD
>    * gSculpt.
>    * Innovation 3D
>    * K-3D
>    * KpovModeler.
>    * Moonlight|3D
>    * TrueVision.
>    * Wings 3D
>
> Not all for POV-Ray, but all for LINUX avaiable.
> Or have a look for more Modelers, renderer etc. (Free an comercial)
>

> http://pengupedia.de/3D_Programme
>

> The site is in german language

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until I get my
other computer fixed, because the old one I'm using now has a video card
that Linux doesn't like, and there are no drivers available that will allow
it to do 3d in Linux.
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Alexandre DENIS
Date: 30 May 2008 19:00:50
Message: <48408721@news.povray.org>
Steve Shelby wrote:

> Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until I get
> my other computer fixed, because the old one I'm using now has a video
> card that Linux doesn't like, and there are no drivers available that will
> allow it to do 3d in Linux.
> Steve

I don't know for the others, but for KpovModeler you don't need a
3d-accelerated card. I'm using it on a 10 year old Matrox G200, and it runs
smoothlessly.

-a.

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 30 May 2008 21:48:59
Message: <4840ae8b$1@news.povray.org>
"Alexandre DENIS" <Ale### [at] labrifr> wrote in message
> Steve Shelby wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until I get
>> my other computer fixed, because the old one I'm using now has a video
>> card that Linux doesn't like, and there are no drivers available that
>> will
>> allow it to do 3d in Linux.
>> Steve
>
> I don't know for the others, but for KpovModeler you don't need a
> 3d-accelerated card. I'm using it on a 10 year old Matrox G200, and it
> runs
> smoothlessly.
>
> -a.

Hmmm... KpovModeler is for KDE, and I have Ubuntu with Gnome. Is there any
way to have Gnome and KDE at the same time?
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Ger
Date: 30 May 2008 23:17:01
Message: <4840c32b@news.povray.org>
Steve Shelby wrote:

> "Alexandre DENIS" <Ale### [at] labrifr> wrote in message
>> Steve Shelby wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until I
>>> get my other computer fixed, because the old one I'm using now has a
>>> video card that Linux doesn't like, and there are no drivers available
>>> that will
>>> allow it to do 3d in Linux.
>>> Steve
>>
>> I don't know for the others, but for KpovModeler you don't need a
>> 3d-accelerated card. I'm using it on a 10 year old Matrox G200, and it
>> runs
>> smoothlessly.
>>
>> -a.
>>
> Hmmm... KpovModeler is for KDE, and I have Ubuntu with Gnome. Is there any
> way to have Gnome and KDE at the same time?
> Steve

Gnome and KDE can cross breed without a problem. So you can run KDE progs
under Gnome and visa versa.
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 May 2008 23:31:57
Message: <4840c6ad$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:48:57 -0400, Steve Shelby wrote:

> Hmmm... KpovModeler is for KDE, and I have Ubuntu with Gnome. Is there
> any way to have Gnome and KDE at the same time? Steve

As long as you have kde3-libs installed, it'll run just fine.  You don't
need to be running the KDE desktop to run KDE apps (and vice-versa).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 31 May 2008 09:42:23
Message: <484155bf$1@news.povray.org>
> As long as you have kde3-libs installed, it'll run just fine.  You don't
> need to be running the KDE desktop to run KDE apps (and vice-versa).
>
> Jim

DOH!!! Silly me, if I had realized that I would have tried kpov modeler a
long time ago. I downloaded and installed it , and it works great. It's a
lot like Moray, only easier to use, very logical and intuitive. I think I'll
have some fun with it, If I can find the time.
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 May 2008 15:00:19
Message: <4841a043$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:42:02 -0400, Steve Shelby wrote:

>> As long as you have kde3-libs installed, it'll run just fine.  You
>> don't need to be running the KDE desktop to run KDE apps (and
>> vice-versa).
>>
>> Jim
>
> DOH!!! Silly me, if I had realized that I would have tried kpov modeler
> a long time ago. I downloaded and installed it , and it works great.
> It's a lot like Moray, only easier to use, very logical and intuitive. I
> think I'll have some fun with it, If I can find the time. Steve

:-)

Jim