POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Performance under Linux? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 14:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Performance under Linux? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Roberto A
Subject: Performance under Linux?
Date: 13 Aug 2003 09:10:45
Message: <3f3a38d5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone...

I'm curious... I've compiled POV from source at home on my Slackware 9.0,
optimized for i586, and with options for sse, mmx and 3dnow (I have an
Athlon XP 1700+). Then I rendered two scenes - skyvase.pov and woodbox.pov -
to test its performance.

Skyvase takes 11 seconds on Linux, and 10 on Windows. Woodbox takes 20
seconds on Linux and 18 seconds on Windows.

The question is: any tips to further improve performance under Unix? Is
there anyone here that has POV running faster under Un*x at all?

And, what exactly are the optimizations on the Windows official version, and
with which compiler has it been built?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:11:11 -0300, "Roberto A." <wol### [at] hot-mailcom>
wrote:
> And, what exactly are the optimizations on the Windows official version, and
> with which compiler has it been built?

Intel compiler was used and settings are probably written in windows dedicated
source package. As far as I remember Intel cooperated with Chris Cason in
adjusting performance of POV-Ray made with their compiler.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:11:11 -0300, "Roberto A." <wol### [at] hot-mailcom>
> wrote:
>> And, what exactly are the optimizations on the Windows official version,
>> and with which compiler has it been built?
>
> Intel compiler was used
[...]

Remark that you can get the Linux version of the Intel compiler for free
for non-commercial purposes:
http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/clin/noncom.htm
Search the newsserver for good settings (for both gcc and icc).

Thomas

--
aaa := ira

Post a reply to this message