POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Performance under Linux? : Performance under Linux? Server Time
6 Jul 2024 03:57:54 EDT (-0400)
  Performance under Linux?
From: Roberto A
Date: 13 Aug 2003 09:10:45
Message: <3f3a38d5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone...

I'm curious... I've compiled POV from source at home on my Slackware 9.0,
optimized for i586, and with options for sse, mmx and 3dnow (I have an
Athlon XP 1700+). Then I rendered two scenes - skyvase.pov and woodbox.pov -
to test its performance.

Skyvase takes 11 seconds on Linux, and 10 on Windows. Woodbox takes 20
seconds on Linux and 18 seconds on Windows.

The question is: any tips to further improve performance under Unix? Is
there anyone here that has POV running faster under Un*x at all?

And, what exactly are the optimizations on the Windows official version, and
with which compiler has it been built?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto