POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problems compiling povray on solaris. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:05:03 EDT (-0400)
  Problems compiling povray on solaris. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Haim Ashkenazi
Subject: Problems compiling povray on solaris.
Date: 8 Sep 2002 06:51:16
Message: <3d7b2ba4@news.povray.org>
Hi

I'm trying to compile povray 3.5b (does b mean BETA? I've downloaded
the latest) and I'm having some problems. two of them I've solved
(I'll put them in the end)
but I can't get around the third one. here's the error I get:

++  `if [ "Xgcc" = "Xgcc" ]; then echo "-Wno-multichar"; fi
` -O3 -I/usr/openwin/include -o povray  atmosph.o bbox.o
bcyl.o benchmark.o bezier.o blob.o boxes.o bs
phere.o camera.o chi2.o colour.o colutils.o cones.o csg.o
discs.o express.o file_pov.o fncode.o fnintern.o fnpovfpu.o
fnsyntax.o fpmetric.o fractal.o function.o g
if.o gifdecod.o hcmplx.o hfield.o histogra.o iff.o image.o
interior.o isosurf.o jpeg_pov.o lathe.o lbuffer.o lightgrp.o
lighting.o matrices.o media.o mesh.o norma
l.o objects.o octree.o optin.o optout.o parse.o parsestr.o
parstxtr.o pattern.o pgm.o photons.o pigment.o planes.o
png_pov.o point.o poly.o polygon.o polysolv.o p
ov_mem.o povms.o povmscpp.o povmsend.o povmsrec.o povray.o
pov_util.o ppm.o prism.o quadrics.o quatern.o rad_data.o
radiosit.o ray.o render.o renderio.o sor.o sph
eres.o sphsweep.o splines.o statspov.o super.o targa.o
texture.o tiff_pov.o tokenize.o torus.o triangle.o truetype.o
txttest.o userdisp.o userio.o vbuffer.o vlbuf
fer.o warps.o unix.o povxlib.o -L/usr/openwin/lib
-R/usr/openwin/lib -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm  -lX11
TIFFGetVersion                      optout.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to povray
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[1]: *** [povray] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/src'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I've tried compiling against various versions of libtiff (the
one that comes with solaris-gnome-1.4, solaris-gnome-2BETA,
ximian-gnome, and solaris freeware). sin
ce I'm not a programmer I can't figure out what it means.
I'm using solaris 8 on sparc with gcc 2.95.

As for the other two, one was the optout.h error (which I've
found an answer in this news group), and a wierd error in the
doc/html/images directory (which I've s
olved by removing the doc entry in the SUBDIRS definition in the
main Makefile). here's the error:

Making all in doc
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc'
Making all in html
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html'
Making all in images
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images'
Making all in vfaq
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images/vfaq'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images/vfaq'
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `skysphe', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html/images'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc/html'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/haim/src/povray-3.50b/doc'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

any ideas?

thanx
--