POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Poser 6 for a bargain Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:55:57 EDT (-0400)
  Poser 6 for a bargain (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Poser 6 for a bargain
Date: 3 Dec 2008 04:16:24
Message: <49364e68$1@news.povray.org>
Just to make people aware that Content Paradise
http://news.contentparadise.com/index.html is offering Poser 6 for 30
dollars and Poser 7 for 100 dollars till the end of December.

Poser 6 is a good bargain.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Poser 6 for a bargain
Date: 3 Dec 2008 19:30:43
Message: <493724b3@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Just to make people aware that Content Paradise
> http://news.contentparadise.com/index.html is offering Poser 6 for 30
> dollars and Poser 7 for 100 dollars till the end of December.
>
> Poser 6 is a good bargain.
>
> Thomas

Interesting that this should come up, I just through, over the weekend,
downloading Daz3d Studio.

Thomas would you be able to sketch briefly how Poser 6 would relate to Daz?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Dec 2008 04:00:23
Message: <49379c27$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> Thomas would you be able to sketch briefly how Poser 6 would relate to
> Daz?

OK let me try. I may forget something but others will correct me.

Daz, as you know, comes free. That is its major asset I believe, in the
world of figure building and animating. It comes too with a set of free,
basic, figures, some with morph possibilites, some very basic conforming
clothes, and a set of 3D environments. Most everything else, if you want to
expand, and you want very soon to expand (making/adding hair, clothes, etc)
comes at a price. These are not very expensive, but in the end I believe you
will spend more money in perfecting Daz than by investing initially in Poser
and go on from there.

Poser comes standard with a set of figures, most with morph capabilities, a
set of basic conforming clothes and conforming hair. Up to now, very similar
to Daz. The great potential of Poser however, are the different *Rooms*
where you can work on and with the figures.

Material Room: where you can work on the textures. Something similar exist
in Daz too, but Poser is more comprehensive. The drawback is that many
features cannot be translated easily to pov via Poseray, mostly because some
of the features have no equivalent in pov. However, you can add your own
textures in pov of course, so the limitation is only relative.

Face Room: Here you can change completely the character of your figures'
faces, creating new personalities.

Hair Room: Potentially (for us, pov users) a very powerful tool for creating
dynamic hair that can be animated (by wind or gravity). Unfortunately, this
cannot be well exported to pov yet. I remember that FlyerX said he was
working on it however. There is already a way to translate the dynamic hair
to pov in Poseray, but the results are not too convincing.

Cloth Room: Aah! My favourite! Taking the figures in their zero-pose, you
can model simple or complex clothes in any modeller you happen to use
(Wings3D, Blender, Silo2, etc) import them into the Cloth Room, dress your
figures with them, set a whole range of dynamic cloth parameters, and
animate the figure towards an end pose you have chosen. The clothes will
dynamically follow the whole action and, if all goes right, end up with a
very believable dressed figure. You can play with gravity and wind too. You
have seen my images. The results can be very good. I am still learning and
improving my skills in this room.

Setup Room: I have not yet been there seriously. Basically, you can change
here the bone structure of your figures, or add bones to boneless ones.
Useful too for making conforming clothes.

On the Content Paradise site, you will find a whole range of figures (human
and animal), props, hairs, that have been offered for free in the past.
Miki/Miki2 is one of them. Free conforming hair can be found for instance
here http://www.digitalbabes2.com/

Very important (and very complex) is the free Apollo Maximus figure by Anton
Kisiel
http://www.antonkisieldesigns.com/~akfiles/htmlpages/ApolloMaximusFree3dhumanfigure.htm.

It works as well for Poser as for Daz. It is one of my favourites because
you can change totally the whole morphology of the figure, so you have
endless possibilities to people your scenes. Currently the 2007 version is
up but Anton is working on the 2008 (and probably final) version.

Now, if you want specific things, many things are for sale, mainly
conforming clothes and endless variations on bikinis, generally for modic
prices. However, my opinion is that they are very restricted in use or
useless. Just visit the appropriate pages on the Daz and Content Paradise
sites to see what I mean.

The only two things in which I have invested because I saw their utility,
are http://www.physicalc-software.com/poserphysics/, and
http://www.philc.net/BasicClothing_page1.htm.

In the end, I may not have been entirely fair to Daz, but that is because I
very rapidly switched from the use of Daz to Poser, mainly because I ended
up pretty soon (immediately to tell the truth) against the usefulness limits
of Daz. I still have not met those in Poser...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Dec 2008 06:38:21
Message: <d8gfj41q0ntrsjirogj1g6kmls7tl0lme5@4ax.com>
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:00:23 +0100, "Thomas de Groot"
<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

>OK let me try.

Hi Thomas and Jim,
	I think that Thomas has written a very good summary.
I've been playing in the clothes room and have created an animation that
includes a bit of arm movement and wind affecting some clothes. It might give
you an idea of the potential. (It is for the TC-RTC but I ran out of time so it
could do with more work)
http://www.bishop3d.com/forum/download/file.php?id=29

Thomas, you have mentioned playing with gravity before, how do you do that?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Dec 2008 10:21:37
Message: <4937f581@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> schreef in bericht

> Thomas, you have mentioned playing with gravity before, how do you do
> that?
> --

Ah yes, good question. The real playground with gravity is by using Poser
Physics of course, as you know. My formulation may not be really adequate. I
refer here to the way clothes may behave in the Cloth Room. I am not sure,
but I seem to remember reading somewhere that playing with the Air Damping
parameter (maybe together with the Dynamic Friction) would result in some
interesting effects resembling to a kind of antigravity? I really should try
this out as I may be talking nonsense here.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 4 Dec 2008 13:56:20
Message: <493827d4@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
> Just to make people aware that Content Paradise
> http://news.contentparadise.com/index.html is offering Poser 6 for 30
> dollars and Poser 7 for 100 dollars till the end of December.
>
> Poser 6 is a good bargain.

Thanks for the post.  I may buy Poser 6.

I currently have Poser 5, and one of the most annoying things is that they
STILL do not have multiple levels of "undo".  Have they changed this in
Poser 6?  That alone would be a reason for me to spend $30.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Dec 2008 16:03:36
Message: <vbhgj4162v9ea6j2oellp0f4vkf5fgrrr9@4ax.com>
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:21:35 +0100, "Thomas de Groot"
<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

>Ah yes, good question. The real playground with gravity is by using Poser
>Physics of course, as you know.

Rats! I was hoping that you knew how to change the gravity in the clothes room.
If that were possible then it would add some flexibility when using different
frame rates in the final render (in Pov), I think.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Dec 2008 16:06:14
Message: <7dhgj4tveo3tn8tmg54i74tfq92r1jqrn6@4ax.com>
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:56:19 -0500, "Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay"
<jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:

>"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>> Just to make people aware that Content Paradise
>> http://news.contentparadise.com/index.html is offering Poser 6 for 30
>> dollars and Poser 7 for 100 dollars till the end of December.
>>
>> Poser 6 is a good bargain.
>>

>Thanks for the post.  I may buy Poser 6.
>
>I currently have Poser 5, and one of the most annoying things is that they
>STILL do not have multiple levels of "undo".  Have they changed this in
>Poser 6?  That alone would be a reason for me to spend $30.

Hi Jeremy,
	I've got Poser 7 and had Poser 6. Without reinstalling Poser 6 to check
I think that it is only Poser 7 that has multiple levels of "undo".

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Dec 2008 04:26:19
Message: <4938f3bb@news.povray.org>

>>I currently have Poser 5, and one of the most annoying things is that they
>>STILL do not have multiple levels of "undo".  Have they changed this in
>>Poser 6?  That alone would be a reason for me to spend $30.
>>

> Hi Jeremy,
> I've got Poser 7 and had Poser 6. Without reinstalling Poser 6 to check
> I think that it is only Poser 7 that has multiple levels of "undo".

That is indeed and unfortunately correct. I mainly use Poser 7 but still
have Poser 6 sitting on my machine, so I checked this.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Dec 2008 04:29:09
Message: <4938f465$1@news.povray.org>
For some reasons (Poser 6 bargain; user survey at Content Paradise) I
suspect something is cooking at the factory. Either an upgrade to Poser 7 or
perhaps a Poser 8?

Thomas