POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Rotationg whole objects around non zero center points Server Time
5 May 2024 00:59:46 EDT (-0400)
  Rotationg whole objects around non zero center points (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Christopher Fairbairn
Subject: Rotationg whole objects around non zero center points
Date: 21 Jan 1999 03:41:06
Message: <36a6e822.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a model which I have modeled in sPatch. I would like to split the
different parts of the model up and animate the character. I have split the
unions of bicubic patches into the different parts Ie left leg, right leg,
head.

The problem is that because these were once one model all the parts are not
created at the origin <0,0,0> hence I can't place commands such as

rotate <0,-45+(90*clock),0>

into the scene to animate features such as the head turning. I actually tell
a lie I can animate the head since is is centered on the y axis but for such
features like the hands you can't rotate them up and down with

rotate <-45+(90*clock),0,0>

because they are already posistioned way above <0,0,0>

Since a computer program generated this model I don't know how much I would
have translate certain objects to move them back to the origin to rotate and
then move them back.

My question is can I use something like the vector function
vaxis_rotate(a,b,f) to rotate whole unions.

Otherwise I'll have a lot of trial and error ahead to work out how much I
have to translate all these objects :-)

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbair.

Post a reply to this message

If you modelled it in Spatch check your grids that will tell you exactly where
each part is placed.
If you unionize all the patches that you want together and rotata them at the
origin and then place them back in there place after.
Of course there is probably an easier way.
Let me look into it :)

Greg

Christopher Fairbairn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a model which I have modeled in sPatch. I would like to split the
> different parts of the model up and animate the character. I have split the
> unions of bicubic patches into the different parts Ie left leg, right leg,
> head.
>
> The problem is that because these were once one model all the parts are not
> created at the origin <0,0,0> hence I can't place commands such as
>
> rotate <0,-45+(90*clock),0>
>
> into the scene to animate features such as the head turning. I actually tell
> a lie I can animate the head since is is centered on the y axis but for such
> features like the hands you can't rotate them up and down with
>
> rotate <-45+(90*clock),0,0>
>
> because they are already posistioned way above <0,0,0>
>
> Since a computer program generated this model I don't know how much I would
> have translate certain objects to move them back to the origin to rotate and
> then move them back.
>
> My question is can I use something like the vector function
> vaxis_rotate(a,b,f) to rotate whole unions.
>
> Otherwise I'll have a lot of trial and error ahead to work out how much I
> have to translate all these objects :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fairbair.

Post a reply to this message